How to get rid of grinding / rattling noise after changing starter

Asked by Aug 04, 2015 at 01:05 AM about the 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4WD

I replaced starter in my 2001 Mitsubishi Montero 3.5L Limited 4wd, car starts but makes a
kind of grinding or shaving sound, like scratching metal. I tried two different replacement
starters (Auto zone and Advanced Auto parts), same results. Please help.

Did you fix this issue? I'm having the exact same issue with mt 01 montero limited

I got it fixed finally after the third try. I got a starter from Napa it cost double what the others were but it worked perfect.

Thanks brother, I bought mine at autozone so i'll return it back. Thank you.

No problem. Good luck.

Got parts from advance auto / car quest. When I installed the starter, it makes grinding noise from the starter area right after I released the ignition key. I tried to return the starter, the advance auto guy said, " there something wrong with the ignition switch, it is not releasing the power to the solenoid." It sound convincing, but the old starter does not make noise like new one. (sometime it runs and sometimes I have to tap with wrench). I Installed 1/8 thick washers and the noises became greater. When I removed the starter to check the pinion gear, I saw marks of flywheel gear about 1/6 of an inch to the very tip of the pinion gear. I made 2 @ 1/4 inch aluminum spacers and installed the starter back, started the engine, and the noises and grinding sounds were gone. Meaning the pinion gear is already touching the flywheel/ all the time even with out starting the car. Remanufactured starter gear length or position is not to specification.

Any idea of which part number is?

I have the same issue