when u change the battery how do u reset the engine to idle at the right rpm

Asked by Sep 28, 2007 at 08:42 PM about the 2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES V6

it doesn't wanna start and it dies out

40,935

This does not sound like a problem which would have been caused by disconnecting the battery. Have this checked out by a mechanic or dealership. You have a larger issue here.

120

there is a code you are suppose to type in from your stereo to reset the computer. i am having the same problem. after a few 100 miles the computer will eventually reset itself. i bought my car used and i dont have the code but my girlfriend bought hers new and it is written in her owners manual. i am not sure if it is a universal code because i have an aftermarked stereo so i dont have a way to check it.

40

hey i agree but i still love my car hey what do you think about when you pick a color or style i'm stuck i need a new paint job yeah i'm a 20 year old hot and sexy model for vicktoria secret lingerie

210

Did you ever figure this out? This happened to me a few years back when I changed my battery. I brought it to a repair shop and all they did was reset the computer. Now I have to do the same thing and don't want to bring back to a repair shop just to reset the comp. thx

505

Leave the battery unplugged for 20 minutes. The car's ECU will be cleared. Then when you start the car, DO NOT drive it or touch anything. Just let it idle for 15 minutes while the ECU reprograms itself.

115

dont listen to anybody else what happened is when u disconnected the battery the pcm lost its memory and the throttle body is dirty all you have to do is get some intake system cleaner and clean the throttle body. if you dont know where it is follow the air intake hose to the intake manifold and right where the hose meets the manifold is where the throttle body is located. be careful though dont spray cleaner directly in the throttle body spray it on a rag and wipe.

70

Did you ever figure this out? Everytime I change the battery on my montero sport, it does the exact same thing. After a day or so it stops, but I would love to be able to fix it from the beginning than going dead at every light or stop sign

505

It's a normal condition where the ECU relearns and readjusts itself.

60

My brother spent almost an hour trying to figure out the same problem. The car kept dying. However, he pumped the breaks and then restarted. That was the trick. It didn't die out anymore.

220

Try disconnecting the battery for one hour. Make sure the ignition key is not in the steering wheel lock. Then reconnect the battery. Place the ignition key in the lock and switch to accessory position. Reset your dash clock to the correct time. Making sure everything is switched off. Aircon, fans, radio, lights, demisters and windscreen wipers and any other accessories this also includes anything plugged into the cigarette lighter such as a mobile or cell phone. Make sure the boot and all doors are closed. Also if there is a HOLD button near your gear change make sure it is in the upper position (switched off). Then in PARK press the accelerator pedal down twice. Remove foot off pedal and start vehicle. Allow several days running for the vehicle to computer self tune and memorise running conditions.

30

It the normal anti theft program. After you change the battery let your car sit for an hour. Happened to me and i thought i did something wrong putting the battery in.

40

I called a mits guy and he said to drive the car for an hour or two and it will reset itself

120

There is no code that I'm aware of. Some codes that are punched into the radio is to unlock the radio,,,,nothing to do with the car's ecu. I just changed my alternator, spark plugs, valve cover gaskets and ignition coils (be careful when removing them, the plastic on old coils get brittle over time due to extreme heat and will fall apart if you look at them funny). To do all this my battery was disconnected for some time. When everything was finally back together my car was idling very low, shut off on me a few times while coming to a stop light. To fix this 1- turn off the car and EVERYTHING electrical in the car. 2- Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes. 3- re-connect the battery, get in the car, shut the doors, turn nothing on except the car. The car will idle around 1200 rpm. 4- put your foot on the brakes, put the car in drive, don't go anywhere! 5- slowly start turning on everything electrical. Start with the radio, wipers, headlights, hazard lights, open the doors so your interior lights turn on, turn on the AC, max blower, plug your phone into the charger or any other portable accessories, roll the windows up and down, open and close your electric sunroof if you have one...if the car hasn't shut off by now you'll notice it is now idling just over 500rpm....stay here for about 5-10 then slowly start turning everything off. 6. once ALL electrical stuff is off (mins the headlights if you car down not have an off switch for headlights) put the car in park, release the brakes and let the car idle another 10 minutes. Should stay between 600-800rpm....DONE! Now go drive somewhere and be happy, I just saved you a minimum $120 Mitsubishi service fee. Donations welcome, send to my paypal :) Oddssee@yahoo.com

10

Odessee you was right my friend I have been having issues with my 05 galant since I changed water pump and serpatine belt , the car stalled out and even died and was hard to crank and I read about ecu reset and sure enough I followed steps and presto done fixed, and didn't cost a thing! Thanx odessee