How to fix faulty 2004 Mitsu Galant Speedometer?

Asked by Dec 12, 2013 at 09:27 AM about the 2004 Mitsubishi Galant ES

Hi I just had my heating fixed on my 2004 Mitsubishi Galant. The mechanic had to remove the dashboard and replace 3 parts (heater control valve, blend door actuator and heater core). The heating works now, but my speedometer cluster is messed up. The RPM needle works, and so do the temperature and fuel tank indicators. However, the temperature indicator is slightly lower than where it should be, and the fuel tank needle is slightly higher than it should be. The speedometer needle is completely messed up and starts very low within the cluster, much below the 0 mark. It then picks up and goes to a maximum of 40 kph. It however doesn't pick up in a normal fashion. It doesnt seem to be just un-aligned and off the 0 position but a little weird in general. I am going to give it back to my mechanic soon to get it fixed but I thought I'd get some advice from you anyways. What could be the problem? My mechanic told me to open up the cluster on my dash and try to re-align the needle by hand (while the car is off), which I did, but as soon as I turned the car back on, the needle went haywire and fell back below the mark. Please advise, thanks!

Waqas

6,265

I could try and solve this for you but you need to take it back and have them fix what they messed up, if they messed something up in the process of fixing something then its on them to make it right again,, but sounds to me like something got disconnected or broke when they had your dash apart though

6,265

and that's some bad advice from your mechanic to realign the speedometer by hand like that,,, he should of said im sorry mam/ir bring it back in well make this right,,, take it back and pitch a fit til they fix it,, and if they absolutely refuse bring up court lawyers etc, this is their problem to fix not yours,,, that is if it was all good before you took it in that is