i have a 1991 mercury capri i took the hard top off but i dont know how to take the manual top out. please if any one has the answer id really apprediate it

Asked by Jul 09, 2012 at 05:26 PM about the 1991 Mercury Capri 2 Dr XR2 Turbo Convertible

125

When you open your driver's side door, look down toward the rear seat area. On the outer most rear interior panel you will see two buttons (actually latches) that you can pull up with one finger. Top one is rear seat opening latch, and the buttom one is the convertible top opening latch. Lift it up and the access panel will pop up, lift the access panel completely up, then lift your convertible top up and into its UP position on the Capri. THEN, very important, pull back the rear lip of the convertible top pass the back lip of the access panel into place. Then get inside and press the red buttons on both top lock latches to let them hang down. Then lightly pull then down and place their hooks into place and then push up the latch to lock. NOTE it's best to get BOTH latches hooks position in place before actual lifting UP either one to LOCK. ALSO for whatever reason YOU can not lift up the release lever on the access panel, DON'T FORCE IT, it might be LOCKED. In that same panel you'll notice a LOCK with a key slot, Insert your Capri key and rotate and then check if you can now lift up those latches. I never lock mine, but some do. HOPE THAT HELP PS NOW putting the top down has it's tricks too, basically reverse order EXCEPT note if when putting down top into access panel area THE CENTER cross bar of the top need to be lightly pull away and out when you first put it into the access area. AGAIN just lift top and place into access panel area then slight lift top and grap center bar out and then let top drop into down in the access panel area. ELSE it won't let you close the access panel. NOW CLOSE access panel either very hard or pushing it down until you hear it CLICK into place VERY IMPORTANT, AGAIN LISTEN to hear CLICK on access panel ELSE you could be driving down the street and the access panel could pop open, NOT GOOD !! TAKE CARE, AND LIVE LONG