1993 Mercury Capri White Smoke Smells Like Gas at Startup

Asked by Feb 19, 2011 at 12:38 PM about the 1993 Mercury Capri 2 Dr STD Convertible

Large amount of white smoke when starting car in the morning.  The smoke smells strong like burned gas.  It only smokes first thing in the morning and not at all the rest of the day.  It can sit and be started many times throughout the day with no smoke.  The car runs fine except for the huge cloud of smoke in the morning.  We have ruled out valve seals and the temperature sensor thing (replaced).....Any Ideas?  

Additional info.....I have had an engine compression test, cylinder leakage test, the garage checked the plugs and for antifreeze on top of pistons. No indication of a head gasket issue.

I had this problem, the seals to my turbo had started leaking. It was a funny thing, I still had great boost. You can also determint if it is a gas or coolant leak by the color of the smoke.

Thanks for the reply, I wish I had the turbo to go with my problem but our car is a non-turbo. We are sure it is gas but not sure how it is getting in.