Capri has white/grey smoke at startup but runs fine with no smoke the rest of the day.

65

Asked by Oct 30, 2010 at 12:43 PM about the 1993 Mercury Capri Convertible FWD

OK I have a 1993 regular capri that started to put out white/grey smoke (considerable amount) first thing in the morning.  After it stops, around 1 min or so, it does not smoke the rest of the day.  It runs a bit rough while it smokes but just fine the rest of the day.  I have had an engine compression test, cylinder leakage test, the garage checked the plugs and for antifreeze on top of pistons.  No indication of a head gasket issue.  The smoke smells a bit like fuel.  They researched and decided to replace the cooling system temp sensor.  Thought this would be the fix, but it is still smoking, all be it a bit less than before but still quite a bit at startup.  Any ideas?

85

your EGR still good?

85

you need to replace your valve seals.

65

Thank you for the reply, however this started very suddenly and it is a ton of smoke that smells mostly like gas. Although, the symptoms of smoking only at startup fits the description for valve seals I am not sure that is the problem. Also, it will not smoke at all at any other time of startup other than first thing in the morning. However, I will discuss it with my mechanic.

65

Good question, could you tell me where the EGR valve is located?