Gear Shift Issues

5

Asked by Nov 11, 2010 at 01:53 PM about the 1997 Mercury Cougar 2 Dr XR7 Coupe

My gear shifter has been sticking in park and I have a lot of difficutly trying to get it out of park!  I am pressing the button on the shifter and have to use two hands and alot of force and wiggle it before I can get it out of park.  Sometimes it takes a really long time.  I've noticed this problem has gotten worse with cooler weather.  Is there something easliy fixable I can have done?  

65

I have the same problem. I twist the shifter while I press the button. I have found I have tranmisson problems But I will fix them later.

55

Not really easy to fix, but you can either A: put the car in neutral and let it settle before shifting to Park or B: set the park brake before releasing brakes. You'll probably notice when you park the car after putting it in Park, it will roll ever so slightly when you take your foot off the brake.

115

Check the brake pedal interlock switch and the wires that connect to it.

55

I have noticed that I have to turn off my car to pull the gearshift towards me and then start my car to get it out of park. I notice I have no brake lights, and I was told the wire looks like it was tampered with. How do I fix that wire? What do I do? Take it to a shop?

50

I had the same problem. Ive replaced the brake pedal switch 3 times in the last few yrs. Only works for about month then problems starts all over again. I even replaced the whole gear shifter and cable with one from the junk yard and it didnt help. I now have the cover to the shifter console off and have to push a lever down with a screw driver everytime I started the car. Ridiculous. Irritating as hell!

Fuse 23 or 24 it's a 15 amp fuse under the dash in the fuse box that drops. I had the same issue.. gear shifter,blinkers AC clutch, reverse lights and something else.

i had the same problem..........put in fluid,that will fix it,thats wat i had to do,now i have no problems