Brake light indicator?

Asked by Sep 07, 2015 at 12:32 AM about the 2003 Mercury Sable LS

Mercury Sable 2003, is the brake light and the check alternator light, one and
the same? Light comes on until hitting about 2,000 rpm, and also when
coasting downhill - when the car is not using as much juice??

2,155

no the brake light and the alternator light are different. the brake light says brake or ABS # 8 & # 11 and the alternator light looks like a battery. # 5. what light are you seeing? here is a picture just tell me the number and I will tell you the problem

2,155

here is the picture

3,405

Start by having the battery checked. It is very possible that it is too old/weak to maintain a proper charge to carry the electrical load until it charges up a bit. After that, check the engine drive belt & tensioner. It is quit possible that the spring in the self tensioner is weak and it takes a bit for the electrical system to catch up. Move onto the alternator after that, it could be failing and it could even test as ok but still be bad because a machine bench test cannot duplicate the exact running condition it goes through in the engine compartment. The fact that both lights are coming on would lead me to believe that it is a bad battery or alternator or the belt is slipping. In the newer cars with all the electrical components these days I have seen some very strange behavior due to as much as 1/2 to 1 volt dropage.