my mustang is jerking going down the road, but not always has anyone else had this happen?

5

Asked by Jul 03, 2011 at 11:34 PM about the 1998 Ford Mustang STD Coupe

just got the car about 2 months ago and finding out all the little things.. just dont want to let it go and it be the rearend of something. thanks

try changing the fuel filter,have the ignition modgel checked,do a tune up,run a can of sea fome fuel injection cleaner in a tank of gas,could just be a cloged injector,the cleaner will clean it right up.if the rearend was bad it would be roaring.

5

thanks for the info sounds ferly simple i was thinking something realy bad was going on...

105

Having the same problem with my '86 GT since I bought it 8 months ago. Let me know what works.

Anytime,

the inline fuel filter by the carb

5

thanks ill try that and get back to everyone the results.

5

when checking the fluid in the rear end of a mustang it should not run out when i take the plug out right? and should not be kinda creamy looking? change it is all i can do right? thanks.

did you run the car through a deep puddle or get the differential submerged? Running out of the gearbox is ok, creamy is not.

you do mean the rearend.no it should not run out or be creamy looking.that sounds like to me that the car may have been in a flood or some kind of deep water,check tranny also,would recomend replaceing the axle barings and seals,pull rearend cover ,clean it.refill with 90 weight gear oil,dont over fill with plug out stick finger in hole ,oil should just touch end of finger tip.usually 1 bottle is all it will need.

475

If it is jerking while accelerating it may be the O2 sensors. Had this happen in my '89. My O2s were burned out and needed to be replaced.

5

thanks will see what i can do about it.

475

bad advice??? I have owned 3 Mustangs in my life. Several months ago my car was 'jerking' by what felt like a misfire while I was accelerating. It turned out to be burnt out O2 sensors. Note that I say 'while acccelerating'. This type of problem is often mis-diagnosed as fuel delivery or ignition. However if this problem is experienced over then entire RPM range, or the engine is hard to start, I'd say look at another reason like a fuel delivery or the crank sensor. Bad O2 sensors give the ECU fits as it tries to reset the air-fuel mix. Since he owns a '98 I'd suggest he invest in an ODB II reader and see if his engine is throwing any codes. In my case I own and '89 which is pre-OBD-II (EEC-IV) and all I was getting was an 'emissions' (33) code from it. An OBD-II reader should be able to narrow the problem, and is well worth it for a DIY. He can get a cheap OBD-II reader on e-bay or spend a bit more and buy one at his local auto parts store.

5

hey there guys i dont know what ya'll got going on but please dont continue to use this spot to keep it going... im a christian and dont want this kinda thing to continue. ill be praying for you both..thanks for all the help.

5

i changed the oil in the rearend and it hasnt been doing it since...hope it helps you out...

5

well thats ya'll biz my friend. but i have nothing to hide people just need to ask me if they want to know something about me... ill tell them about christ.. anyway i undestand someone has to be the bigger man in all of it.. GOD bless you and him...

AMEN,BROTHER.I have nothing to hide eather,all a person has to do is ask.Im not always right,and when im wrong,ill admit it.so ill be the bigger man here.how is the stang doing.

5

doing good just have to work out all the kinks. my front end is shaking a little well just the right side going to get an alinement and see if the struts need to be replaced as soon as i can.. you have a great week and GOD bless you..

could be a out of balanced tire-out of round tire-bent wheel.& back at ya.

check the gas filter

Boyfriend has a 98 and is now having a deceleration problem at 60mph and it feels as if the car is having the brakes tapped lightly anywhere from 3-5 times and once it reaches to 40mph its fine again. any idea what it could be?

hello,friends my mustang is 2010 v8 4.6 last fu days in slow driving in 2 & 3 shifting gear jerking its not smooth i repair gear box all gear shifting good just in slow jerking