I loose water and cannot find a leak

L2CUK2
40

Asked by Jul 09, 2012 at 11:29 PM about the 1998 Mazda 626 LX V6

I loose water from my cooling system and do not see any signs of sream or water.

MrEvolution
345

Check the exhaust, could be leaking into the engine and out the exhaust. Also, when you do an oil change do you see anti-freeze in the oil?

200,495

Well after driving the car or when it's hot, park the car and pop the hood and see or hear if you see any steam or wet spots. Possible areas to look at, hoses, radiator, heater core, coolant expansion tank, engine block. If nothing is there then you can be burning it, aka bad headgasket. Check for signs of smoke from your exhaust , water in your oil , woould look like a chocolate milkshake and or you can have your mechanic perform a leak down test or cyclinder compression check to see if that is indeed your problem, or maybe he can find the hose that is leaking. Good Luck.

L2CUK2
40

I had thought of the possibility of "burning it" but how do you burn H2O? Never mind I've heard about water-injectors on airplane recips. for boosting on short take-offs, but never asked how that works. Thank you and I will follow your recommendations and let you know what I find out. C. Sims

Richard Schroer
8,015

another good spot to check is the inside of the cap where you add oil- if coolant is in the oil it will look light green and cheesy.

Richard Boettger
1,095

L2CUK2, Water doesn't actually burn but becomes steam and vaporizes, and is sent out the exhaust as excessive water vapor. in burning fuel/air there is always a little water vapor in the mix left over from the burn process. You likely have a small leak in the head gasket between a water jacket and a cylinder, either because the head gasket itself went bad, or you may have a warped head or block that is allowing coolant to bypass the gasket. Too much coolant in the cylinder and you could experience hydro lock. Since water does not compress if it fills the cylinder enough that the piston cannot reach the top of its travel, the engine will stop and damage could be done in the process. Water injection is a method where small amounts of H2O are injected into the cylinder, or air/fuel mixture which is designed to cool the mixture before its burned thereby increasing power. Cool fuel (and air too) is more dense. But that is an apples and oranges example to what we are talking about here. Hope this helps explain things a bit better.

L2CUK2
40

Thanks Richards. I understand the situation now. L2CUK2