will air inside the cooling system cause the 98 ford explorer to overheat???

Asked by Jun 03, 2013 at 05:46 PM about the 1998 Ford Explorer 4 Dr XL SUV

A fried tells me that any air in the cooling system will cause the engine to overheat, find that hard to believe.  States that it is a closed system and there should be no air in the system at all.

your friend is correct. If it does have air in it you need to bleed it and get it out. The only way there should be air is if you have drained the cooling system and did not get the air out upon refilling it.

Best Answer

Is there a correct way to fill the system. Have a flush kit installed and filled the system through the flush kit until the rad was full, then capped the rad, then turned off and disconnected the hose, left the engine running until no more air seemed to be coming out of the kit (has a valve that allows the air to escape. This procedure leaves me with no anti freeze in the system. I would think the correct way would be to add the anti freeze to the rad through the filler cap, then fill with water and let the engine run until no air is escaping from the flush kit valve. The flush kit is at the highest point of the system. Any detailed instructions on line you could point me to would be appreciated. Thanks

I have one of these kits at work. You fill the funnel up like in the picture. Put the heater on inside the car and run the engine at 1500 rpm and keep an eye on the level in the funnel. dont let it get low. once you get good heat out of the vents then all the air should be out of the system. or just keep watching the funnel and when all the bubbles stop coming out your good. go get you one of those kits and try it.

Thanks very much, the funnel makes the task very manageable! Best to you and sincere thank you. Dave

What Kbro said. I just did it in my 1996 Explorer Eddie Bauer edition and works like a charm.