What is a fair estimate for Parts And Labor Costs To Replace Catalytic Converter 2001 Mazda DX

40

Asked by Jan 19, 2014 at 06:52 PM about the 2001 Mazda Tribute DX

18,475

Dealer converter or aftermarket?

61,165

Last month I replaced the original catalytic converter on my 2000 Grand Prix with the 3.8 liter V6 and California emissions. I bought a universal converter for $140 and had it installed plus the resonator for $240. HTH. - Jim

40

My mechanic says it will cost $750 for labor and parts. There would be no reason for him to purchase a dealer converter, right? I purchased the car summer of 2013 from a mechanic in Pennsylvania. Drove it 6 hrs to VA, where I live; several other 3 hrs trips and a roundtrip to GA at 28 hrs. My mechanic says that's why it broke (whatever). I am leery of his estimate.

61,165

Seems kinda high. No, he'd probably buy an aftermarket converter and charge you list price for it. List price is a higher price than what he paid. this is done so he can make money on the part AND labor. Ask if you'll be getting a direct fit converter (more expensive) and does your Mazda have California Emissions (more expensive). The reason I chose a universal converter for my Grand Prix is it was MUCH cheaper. But a universal converter will require cutting the old converter out from the exhaust system and welding (not clamping) the new converter in. A good muffler/exhaust shop won't even blink at installing a universal converter for you. Check your emissions label under the hood. If it says "This vehicle conforms to California Emissions requirements" or "is C.A.R.B. approved you have California Emissions. If the label just mentions "Federal Emissions Standards", you do not. Check out rockauto.com for your converter. I've bought two Eastern Converters from there and they have both been trouble free. HTH -Jim

Best Answer
40

Wow, what an incredibly helpful response. Thank you so much. The mechanic did discuss the CA emissions issue, and planning to install a universal converter if it is not CA. He did not discuss a direct fit converter. So his estimate of $750 is based on parts and labor for a universal converter. You agree with me that the price is kinda high?

61,165

You're welcome. Glad to help. Thank you for the best answer click. Yes, especially if you have the 4 cylinder and it's not California Emissions. If you have the V6 and he wants to replace all three converters then that's cheap. With the V6 you have 3 converters. There's one at each exhaust manifold then a third down further. I just pulled up diagrams of both the 6 and 4 cylinder engine's exhaust systems. If he's just replacing one converter on the V6 he's still high. He'd be charging you about 4 hours labor @ $100 per hour (the going rate here in NJ). HTH. -Jim

10

Oh boy, I had the 2nd catalytic converter replaced on my 2005 Mazda Tribute at the dealer and it cost me 1,800.00. Unreal. And last week I had the fuel pipe replaced as it was leaking and making a huge loud noise. Sounded like my truck turned into a street sweeper and that was 900.00. It has 117,000 miles on it and I've never in 10 years had any problems. Honestly, I should've traded it in and gotten a new car. So upset as now, the other 2 catalytic converters are going. I couldn't go more than 20 mph up a hill today and my rpms were going nuts. Good luck guys.