I replaced the lock actuators and the door handles on both front doors but there is still locking and unlocking problems.

Asked by Apr 02, 2015 at 12:12 PM about the 1998 Ford Explorer 4 Dr Eddie Bauer AWD SUV

When I try to unlock the doors by pushing the button on the door and it will not unlock the passenger door, I normally have to open it by hand. The drivers door has a problem when I put the key in to unlock it, the key has a hard time turning fully through the unlock cycle to get the door to unlock. What parts seem to need to be replaced?

17,150

The cylinder lock on the drivers side door is either worn or loaded with crud. Try squirting powdered graphite into the lock and work it through with key turning through the lock and unlock cycle. It should loosen up. Try wd40 if you do not have the graphite.

Best Answer
17,150

As far as the passenger door and button issue let me ask. When you hit the unlock button on the drivers side door can you hear sound from the passenger door (trying to operate). Does the little visible button jiggle or move when you press the button. If the answer is yes, the problem is mechanical. If no, probably electrical. You will need a multi meter to begin checking for voltage at various points beginning at the electrical connection in the drivers side door. Is there a lock button on the passenger side door? Does that button work?

17,150

Your question about replacement doesn't appear here but I will answer. Replacement lock cylinders, if you go that route, can be had at most auto parts stores. They may have to be ordered but come with a key. Specify you need two (KA'ed) keyed alike or you will have separate keys. You can have it done at the Ford dealership if you want the single key option, but you will pay through the nose. Did you try the WD 40 route or powdered graphite? I have fix the same problem you have many times with simply lubricating the mechanism. I do not believe your electrical actuators are bad, but they cost about 40 to 50 bucks if you have to replace them.