Need help with my 2001 Lincoln L's v8. It says check transmission it might just need fluid but I don't know where to put it in please help.

10

Asked by Jul 23, 2014 at 08:30 AM about the 2001 Lincoln LS V8

a pic of where the fluid goes in
would be perfect thanks.

33,545

Here is a paragraph I cut from another site. Hope it sheds some light. Sounds like you might want to take it to the shop. Adding tranny fluid to this car isn't like the old days of dumping down the dipstick tube. Here it is: Your vehicle has no transmission dip stick, here is the procedure from Lincoln. Use a OBDII scan equipment to monitor Transmission Fluid Temperature, start the vehicle and run engine at idle until fluid temperature is between 80° to 120° F (27° to 47°C). Shift through gears slowly stopping in each gear allowing it to engage. Put in PARK position. With engine running put vehicle up on hoist level as possible. Hold the larger drain plug with a wrench and remove the small center plug. Allow the fluid to drain, making sure that the fluid is between 80° to 120° F (27° to 47°C). If the fluid comes out as a thin stream or drip, the fluid is at the correct level. Reinstall the small center plug and tighten to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm)

33,545

Jose, Read this one first, tells you where the drain nut is located. It is located on the transmission pan. Their is a "fluid level check screw" that you will need to take out. You aren't going to be able to just dump a quart of fluid in and be good though. These transmissions are designed under normal driving conditions to never have to be serviced and that includes the fluid. But if your like me, you like to hot rod it once in a while. Then you should change your fluid every 45,000 miles or so. The drain plug is at the very bottom of the pan. You are gonna need a little over 11.5 quarts of Mercon(R) V Transmission fluid for the 3.0 as well as the 3.9 liter. The amount of fluid needed for the transmission is the same regardless of the engine you have. Hope this post will help someone in the future. Also their is no dipstick to check the fluid level. You have to take the screw/bolt out on the side of the Tranny Pan.