Car dying at idle?

Asked by Jul 07, 2015 at 01:21 PM about the 1997 Kia Sephia RS

Okay, so I'm completely car-ignorant. Just bought my first car.  Went to take my
driving test in it, and my horn didn't work, so on the way to the shop to get it fixed, it
died. Had the alternator replaced. Turns out the horn didn't work b/c the ground was
corroded due to an oil leak. Replaced the valve gasket cover. Horn stopped working
again. Replaced it with a new one and it works fine. Out of nowhere, a day or two later
It started to die when it idled... when I pulled to the bottom of my driveway, or at stop
lights etc, but was fine when I would drive, and it would immediately start back up no
issue. It became more frequent, and then I couldn't even back out of my parking space
because it died the second I tried. Check engine light was NOT on. It didn't pull any
codes.  Disconnected the TPS, and it will run without dying at idle, but it's running
horrible (the OD off light is blinking at me, and the check engine light is on). I know I
shouldn't drive it with the TPS disconnected but I have no choice until I can figure out
what the problem is, and get it replaced.  (not even sure if it'd be the TPS)

I am desperate, and too broke to take it to a shop/buy parts and attempt trial and error

46,195

Perhaps try cleaning the throttle body. Do a Google search for how to do that.

18,520

Also clean your ( IAC ) Idle Air Control valve. Also Google on how to clean.

I have a 2000 sephia and I'm having idle problems. It dies at idle