2003 Kia Spectra will not start after sitting 2 weeks

30

Asked by Jan 22, 2011 at 07:37 PM about the 2003 Kia Spectra Base

I have a 2003 Kia Spectra with the 1.8, the car was running fine until it sat for 2 weeks.  Went out to start the car and would not start.  I tried to put the car into nutral and the shifter will not move.  Was told about the "reset" button by the shifter and tried that and nothing happened.  Not sure what the deal is,  but I tried to remove the shifting cable from the trans and after retaching the cable to the trans it now will shift into reverse but that's bout it, it still won't start.  What's the deal and how can I fix it......  Has anyone else delt with this same thing and if so how the heck do you fix it??????   Please send emails to r.k.melton72@gmail.com

745

does it turn over? or you can't get it to turn over?

30

No it won't do anything, I get power and everything will turn on (lights, radio,ect...) but I can't get it to turn over. I can hear the fuel pump kick in and shut off once the pressure builds up, but after that.......nothing. I am open to any ideals on what to try to get this running and would be very greatfull for any help.

745

I've got a few things to try, 1. Find the relay that runs the starter and check it, either switch it with another one or replace it, Hyundai and Kia seem to use crappy relays 2. If that is good check the starter, If it is a stick put it in neutral with the wheels blocked, find the starter and use either a wire or screwdriver to arc power acrross the solonoid and it should kick over the starter. Do this by making a connection between the battery power (large wire) and the wire that energizes the solonoid. 3. if the starter turns after doing that, but still wont turn with the key, check the electrical neutral/park safety switch inside the car, if it doesn't turn over after doing that it is either the starter or starter solonoid (but they are usually sold as one unit) replace the starter. before replacing it you could pull it out and bench test it since you'll need a core when you get the new one. try some of these things and see how they work, if you still need help I've got many more ideas I just don't want to overwhelm you, let me know if you have any other questions about what I've said.

30

Thank you very much, I will try these steps and let you know it any of them work for me (should be tonight).

170

This exact thing just happened to my 2003 Kia Spectra. What ended up being the problem?

30

I have a 2005 Kia Spectra that would freeze up randomly. I took it to several repair shops including the dealership to no avail and alot of unecessary repairs. By chance I changed the starter relay in the fuse bloc. Since I replace the relay the car has been running great!

20

My 06 spectra 5 cranks but will not start. I have sparks and fuel pump working but will not show up at the fuel injectors. Have heard that the crankshaft position sensor might be the cause, but there are 3 of them that I can find so not sure which one to change out. Haven't tried blowing the fuel line to see if anything is clogged inline. There is an electrical fuel filter looking inline to the intake manifold and I took it off and still no fuel showing up when key is turned on. So not sure where to go from here. Will need to replace the CPS's and see if that does the trick. will post later of result.