KIA Rio 2003 1.5 L Sedan over heating

Asked by Jul 29, 2015 at 03:56 PM about the 2003 Kia Rio Base

i have changed spark plug before and i have checked compatibility list in NGK site and
bought Iridium one so first thing i have changed and set default spark plug i have went to
lots of mechanics and now after 1month and 6000Km driving with this problem these
things changed : Step1. Cylinder head gasket, Thermostat، i went to test after 1hour
driving again it going to boil and i see water boiling out of tank again i went to mechanic :
step 2 : Cylinder head gasket checked it was OK, Water pump changed, Radiator
changed , heating sensor changed, again i went to test and .... temperature was going up
and not coming down i was very angry and backed to garage and told them to remove
thermostat i wanna see whats happen and again same happened its really funny while
you are not driving if you keep the engine running in 5000 RPM after 3-4 min it start to boil
!!!!! and about Fan that i dont change it reason is first i have connect it directly to battery to
make sure wiring is ok after 6 year and fan sound  like before also i have bought new fan i
didn't installed it but i have check my fan ampere usage it takes 8-10 Ampere to start and
5 A in idle i have checked new fan it was same so i didnt change the fan, i dont know what
i have to do any more :( please help me i love this car.

18,560

In your question I see that your checked the voltage going to fan but is it actually coming on when vehicle reaches operating temperature ? If it is coming on there are two things you can try first clean the radiator and A.C condenser coil with a garden hose and nozzle or better yet a pressure washer the fins maybe clogged with dirt and bugs restricting air flow across the radiator and condenser coil fins. Second do a Super Radiator and Cooling System Flush to clean the cooling passages in the engine block.

Hi Dear firebird338 I have cleaned condenser its clean as you can see engine from front and radiator replaced with new one :(

In your question I see that your checked the voltage going to fan but is it actually coming on when vehicle reaches operating temperature ? Yes i thing as i checked with DIAG it run in 90-96 degree

24,045

if its not the fan...did they pressure test the cooling system.after the repair..is the water in the rad. showing air bubbles running..good head gasket?..any emissions coming out of the water ?! you said replaced head gasket ...was the head /block checked for crackes...? the rad hose/s not collapsing...

18,560

You cleaned the condenser coil could you also reach the radiator ?

Dear Kelly, Yes they told me that they have checked Cylinder pressure and it was OK !! and i dont think because it was running in very bad situation as you can see in picture as well i have get time and forced them to change Cylinder head gasket because its under their warranty i dont know if its really help or not ... :( and in morning i will open radiator head and till it get hot i will check for bubbles and inform you, really appreciated for your help

Dear firebird338 it just running for less that 1 week its clean

18,560

Did it make a difference ?

firebird338, No its the same :(( i hope that some thing prevent from air it was my first try :(

18,560

The mechanic that is working on your vehicle is he bleeding the air from the system correctly because if not it is going to over heat ? If you turn your A.C on does the fan or fans come on instantly ?

18,560

Another question how far is the temperature gauge up before the fan comes on half way ?

firebird338, Yes i have force them to recheck all holders, If you turn your A.C on does the fan or fans come on instantly ? yes both fans start instantly

firebird338,Another question how far is the temperature gauge up before the fan comes on half way ? i have check this matter between 2 rio with DIAG his car start fan at 94-96 degree my car the same but we face difference here we have hold both on 4000RPM and his car still was on 95-96 degree but my car 95-98-100-108.... !!!!!!!!!!!

18,560

After all that I have read what you have done the only thing I can think of is the system is not being bleed of air correctly or there is a blockage in the engine block cooling system that is why I suggested doing a cooling system flush.

Best Answer

firebird338, It wont damage water pump or hoses ? all are new, and do you know good one ? i have used gunk + oil for cleaning engine this brand has cooling flush ?

18,560

Never used that brand before I have seen it but never used it but may be just as good as the one I do use Prestone Super Flush.

firebird338, Thank you so much i will use and i will share my findings.

Dear firebird338, I have rechanged Cylinder head gasket again and i have used Prestone radiator flush and the i have filled radiator with Prestone anti freeze and coolant 50/50 and it seems that problem solved i was driving with high RPM today and weather was 47 C temperature indicator not changed it was below half, Really thank you for help man.

18,560

Glad I could could help.

Dear firebird338, Just one more thing today i have heard very nice sound from my friend rio exhaust he told me that he just removed last muffler if i do it you think it will effect on car temperature ? and if not what is your offer for exhaust on rio.

18,560

If you are saying that you would like to replace muffler it will not affect the vehicle temperature as long as the muffler is a direct fit and a good quality muffler.

firebird338, Thanks (Y)

24,045

so it was a bad installation of a head gasket.as i said up top.. as far as the muffler put on a (2 chamber flowmaster muffler)..