diagnosis of strange behavior

25

Asked by Jun 27, 2007 at 01:54 PM about the 1992 Jeep Cherokee 4 Dr Laredo 4WD

OK, check it out- I'm having problems with my jeep running a little too hot... sometimes. When I try to accelerate for passing or take off the engine seems to hesitate or get "caught up". If I let off the pedal until I'm barely pushing it things seem to smooth out, but it takes a mile or two to get up to 60mph. The coolant temp slowly rises the longer I try to accelerate and going up a steep hill makes all symptoms worse. I have changed my thermostat (stock 192degrees), I have exchanged coolant(green stuff) and tonite I'm going to change the fuel filter. I have also added injector cleaner to the fuel and that made a minor improvement. Long story short, I have had temp readings of almost 240 degrees once or twice and I'm being driven nuts trying to figure this out. I love my truck and DO NOT want to warp any aluminum- Please give me a magic answer!!

20,830

Hi dev49! I think you have two separate problems here. I think your hesitation may be due to either injector issues or controller issues. And with the overheating, I am wondering if you have AC and/or additional cooling fans which may not be triggered properly all of the time. That may be an electrical problem or perhaps an issue with another control module. (next time it overheats, and your AC isn't on, turn it on and that sometimes serves as a bypass switch for those fans). But this is really speculation based on what little info there is to work on here. I would suggest a trip to a Jeep dealer to have them run some diagnostics and to see if the computer is throwing out error codes. Good luck!