Brake lights don't work but tail lights do.

Asked by May 25, 2016 at 01:46 AM about the 1999 Ford Mustang Coupe

My 99 ford mustangs brake lights don't
work but my tail lights do. Ive checked all
the fuses and bulbs, all good. Brake light
switch seems good and wires to the switch
are good. Anyone with advice?

Test for power in and out of the brake light switch, if you have power in and out then turn signal switch is suspect, if no power then blown fuse or a broken circuit in the brake light system before the switch. HTH

One other thing you can try is the 4way switch, try turn it on and off a few times, I have seen a few of these get stuck part way between on and off and it cancels some of the circuits.

Best Answer Mark helpful

First off ty for your response I really appreciate it. Ya I'm getting power to the brake switch and I went ahead and changed out the switch bc it was in bad shape. Still no brake lights. Where would I find the turn switch or 4 way?

Steering column, the column covers will have to come off to gain access to the switch main body.

I got ok knowledge of cars I'm not an expert so bare with me. When I take the steering wheel column off what am I looking for? What does it look like? How do I turn it on and off?

It's your turn signal switch, what you make right and left turns light work, then usually on the lower side just to the right is the 4 way switch, it is also part of the turn signals, step on the brake pedal and hold it there then just pull and push it in and out a few times an see if the brake lights start to work, and you can also very easily push forward on the turn signal stalk while it is in the center position and see if the brake lights come on when you do that. HTH

Ok awesome. I will have to do it tomorrow but I will let you know how it went. Ty again for taking time out to help me.

So I did everything you recommend but nothing. I got power going to the switch and literary the only thing that doesn't work is my breaks. Is there a way I could send you a picture of under my steering wheel.

Sure, just take a pic, download to your PC then click on choose file under the answer box, locate the pic click it to download to the forum. Here is a basic lighting diagram. See pic.

I don't have a pc

Ok, that is all i'm familiar with on sending out pics. They say you can do it with a smart phone but I have never tried.