Back Hatch does not Open

Asked by Apr 28, 2012 at 12:37 AM about the 1999 Jeep Cherokee 4 Dr Classic 4WD

The back hatch of my 1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic does not open most of the time. I try locking and
then unlocking the power lock and once in a great while, if I push down on the door while lifting the
latch, I can open the door. But this happens only once in a great while. Is this a common problem that I
can fix on my own? If not, do you have any idea how much this might cost to repair?

15

try wd 40 on the lock mechanism

215

WD40 might break it loose, but it is not a lubricant, it is a solvent. You need a lubricant on the mechanism. Tri-flow, super lube, or something along those lines would be a much better choice.

5

sometimes mine doesn't open on my 2000 cherokee, and i have to push it closed a little more then in will open

15

u can adjust the handle from inside the door, a white plastic clip connects the handle to a bar on the latch.

the hatch handle is loose