1995 Jeep Cherokee OverheatingHello all,Got a slight over-heating problem with my Jeep. Actually I noticed this from about 2 years ago and it's still the same today.When I'm stuck in bad traffic, or sit at a red light for too long, the temperature gauge would slowly creep upwards over the middle marker toward the third marker. I have not had it sitting idle for so long that it went into the last red region.But as soon as I start driving again, the temperature drops back down below just under the halfway mark.To me it sounds like an airflow problem, i.e. the engine is not getting enough airflow when it's sitting idle.Could this be the fan? Or a clogged or dirty radiator?I see two fans. The fan on the right always spins. The fan on the left does not spin when the engine is started. Are they both suppose to spin?Thanks in advance for any advice.Regards,

Asked by Dec 22, 2013 at 10:17 PM about the 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4-Door 4WD

Hello all,

Got a slight over-heating problem with my Jeep. Actually I noticed this from about 2 years ago and it's still the same today.

When I'm stuck in bad traffic, or sit at a red light for too long, the temperature gauge would slowly creep upwards over the middle marker toward the third marker. I have not had it sitting idle for so long that it went into the last red region.But as soon as I start driving again, the temperature drops back down below just under the halfway mark.

To me it sounds like an airflow problem, i.e. the engine is not getting enough airflow when it's sitting idle.

Could this be the fan? Or a clogged or dirty radiator?

I see two fans. The fan on the right always spins. The fan on the left does not spin when the engine is started. Are they both suppose to spin?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,

yes. well let's start with a temperature sender...then we can test for voltages AT the fans~ one comes on when the operating temperature is reached...not before that...if it does we have a problem, Houston~ there are three temperature sensors (at least) let's start with the Block sensor...test and replace that one and move onto the thermo-switch on the fan (if equipped) probably the "wand" sensor in the radiator fins...seen all types~ ----right out of the chute there are three possible temp sensors~https://www.google.com/#q=1995+jeep+cherokee+temp+sensor &tbm=shop

the second fan comes on whenever the a/c is engaged~ keep running until the engine reaches a safe temperature is totally normal~