Starting the explorer?

Asked by Sep 19, 2011 at 12:45 AM about the 1999 Ford Explorer 4 Dr XLT AWD SUV

My explorer has the factory installed anti theft where you have to press the open lock button on the remote before starting the truck.  Is there a way to start it without pressing the button?  We just had an incident where the battery in the remote died and it wouldn't unlock the truck.  Luckily it finally worked after a few clicks but it worried me about starting if it doesn't work.

Had the same problem with my daughter's 99 explorer. Fortunately I was two blocks away from a grocery where I could purchase a battery. I suggest you do what I did. I purchased two and left one in the packaging and placed it in the glove box. Another thing to remember. Eventually you're ignition switch will go out. You'll need a special one. It will have to be installed by a locksmith with the programming tool to format the new keys. Make sure you inform the locksmith about pushing the lock unlock button when you drop the car off. When I dropped off the car the locksmith told me to return in 45 minutes. After an hour and a half I returned and the workers were scratching their head. Seems they could not program the switch so the vehicle would start. I walked up to the vehicle, clicked the unlock/lock button and the car started right up.

Yes, there is an old way of dissarming the alarm so you can still start the vehicle incase the key fob is lost or is inoperable. This is very old technology these days but very simple. Take the key you use to start the vehicle and insert it into the drivers door key hole and turn to unlock. This dissarms the alarm and will allow you to start the vehicle!!! Sorry I sound like a smart a$$ but it's funny how these days people are so dependent on new technology that they forget how we used to get by problems like this. Before key fobs, if your alarm was going off, you would put the key in the door and turn to unlock to dissarm the alarm. Same thing with the starter lock out. Also used to have to make sure you had the brake pedal depressed prior to starting or it wouldn't start. I can't tell you how many cars I had towed in cause people forgot to push on the brake pedal! LOL....

My 05 Ford Expoler won't Start or crank Dont have the fob to it alarm doesn't go off jus blinking red light I did buy a new battery cuz I had to keep charging the old battery can someone please help me figure out what is the problem

I got stuck at my kids school cause the ignition with the key to the explorer would not turn on lights turned on it unlocks through the back but when my husband tried to turn it on the key and ignition would not move. We just bought the vehicle from our neighbors and the guy purchased it new in 97, it never gave him problems as soon as we purchased the vehicle nothing wants to work. We finally got it home and tried to turn it on again, is there a trick to unlucky the steering wheel or ignition?