I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty that has about 136,000 miles on it. It has received every required servicing including and oil and filter change every 3600 miles. Right now, between servicings I have to put in 1 to 2 quarts of oil. I have asked my service representative, Jake at York Jeep about it and he says that it is just because it is an older car. I have talked to a couple mechanics, who basically said "that's crap" and that if my car has received all its servicings this should not be happening. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Asked by Apr 12, 2013 at 09:20 AM about the 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD

I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty that has about 136,000 miles on it.  It has received every required servicing
including and oil and filter change every 3600 miles.  Right now, between servicings  I have to put in
1 to 2 quarts of oil.  I have asked my service representative, Jake at York Jeep about it and he says
that it is just because it is an older car.  I have talked to a couple mechanics, who basically said "that's
crap" and that if my car has received all its servicings this should not be happening.  Does anyone
have any thoughts on this?

108,905

I'm more on the side of the service rep. Even with the proper maintenance, the engine will wear out and it will use some oil. The use would be gradual. If all of a sudden, the engine starts drinking oil, maybe something is wrong. -- I wouldn't attempt to "fix" it. Keep track of oil use and oil changes in a glove box notebook. Adding a quart of oil every 2,000 miles is cheaper than a engine rebuild.

I know this link is 5 years old but I know people who still have Jeep Liberty in oil issues first thing you do go to somebody else make sure they're changing your oil filter a lot of these cheap guys will not change your oil filter Jeeps are notorious for the oil filter coming loose second if it keeps happening and it's a major problem and really going to drive you insane check the oil pan as soon as I got a new oil pan my Jeep stopped heating oil but understand this can be expensive unless you know a mechanic who does not go by the book. And I stress this point please do not try to do the oil pan yourself!!!!! What looks simple and easy in a jeep is not so simple easy....

HELP! due to my ignorance my 2002 Liberty has a burnt out engine - damn, damn, damn. I KICK MYSELF FOR MY IGNORANCE & being irresponsible! -- AAA had to tow it & the mechanic that checked it out: "Needs a new engine!" a rebuilt goes for about $4,000 says he. ouch... money is tight... Bib 'C' meds etc, etc - now do i find a reasonable mechanic and bite the bullet or let my Liberty go??