Head Gasket Leak

Asked by Aug 11, 2015 at 05:59 PM about the 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD

I want to start this out by saying I know nothing about vehicles....I originally brought my
vehicle in for an oil change and to check on the air conditioner since it didn't get very
cold. That night after a $200 bill my air conditioner still didn't work properly and my
check engine light came on and shortly after overheated. The coolant was completely
empty when I checked. I immediately replenished the coolant after finding it was
empty.  I took the vehicle back in the next day and was informed I have a leak in the
head gasket. Now my vehicle can't be driven more than a mile without overheating. I
feel the whole situation could have been prevented had they not been negligent in their
job. Does anyone think the repair shop could have caused the head gasket leak? The
repair shop denies that they caused the leak.

60

well your coolant and a/c are sepate i dont see why they would have emptied that so i say no

67,465

I'd take it to another repair shop for a second opinion. The cooling system should be pressure tested. This will find the leak. Even if it is the head gasket. I would hope they would have checked your fluids and advised you that the coolant was low then. Head gaskets can fail all of a sudden. But since it wasn't overheating before you took it in it makes me wonder. Get a pressure test and go from there. HTH. -Jim