Vehicle cuts out at turns and stops

Asked by May 17, 2013 at 06:39 AM about the 2005 GMC Yukon XL Denali 4WD

Our Yukon stalls when turning a corner or coming to a stop. As long as its moving its fine.
Could this be a fuel pump issue or water in the tank?

the first thing to check with any vehicle that wont maintain idle is crud build-up in the throttle body. use a small nylon brush that wont melt in carb cleaner, take the big hose off at the T-body, hold the throttle open with your right hand and spray the walls of the body and the throttle plate, scrub it out and spray again.after all is clean put the hose back on making sure there are no holes or splits in the hose. it will a little ruff till the cleaner is cleared out but idle should instantly improve

Check to see if you have any codes stored. Also check the idle air control valve(IAC). When they go bad it will also cause the same issues and will not always throw a code. It might just need cleaning.

Reading the above answers! Thank you for confirming of what I have speculated all along! Mechanics where trying to pass on me this ridiculous bill for repairs that had NOTHING to do with the problem. The art of mechanics is gone it seems like. If it doesn't generate a code apparently it is not a problem. ;) I originally suggested the 2 problems a month ago & they just laughed. Decided to tackle it myself & sure enough it cured the problem! This is such a great resourceful site! :)

Glad you got it fixed. Drive safe

Been having that problem for a while now, turns out it was the crank shaft position sensor. I had it replaced no more cutting off!!!! Of course I had the fuel pump changed, gas tank dropped, fuel filter changed. Over the course of time trying to figure the problem out. Hot this helps and saves someone any unnecessary spending.

I had the same problem. 05 Suburban. It first stalled pulling out into traffic, left turn, dead stall, no stearing, traffic coming - scary. I was able to get out of the way. It started right up. Ran fine for a day. Then did it again. A day later again. At this point I was just praying over my car. It got worse (not saying anything about God.) A couple days later I noticed it was only on left turns. I went to two dealers and two repair shops. No clue. I told them about theories on this thread and others... they rolled their eyes. "only on left turns?" no way. has to be a wire short. They didn't have time, I was traveling out of state. The car was still going "straight and right" just fine... so I drove on. then I hit a big bump in the road, and it stalled, but didn't die. 10 miles later it did it again. I'm in the middle of Oklahoma, and it is getting worse. Finally, I'm in walled in construction, no shoulder, 10 miles of it, and it dies completely. I shift to nuetral and it won't start. It tries, but won't. I'm coasting to a stop, 10mph, and there in front of me is a hole in the concrete barrier that I ease through out of traffic, get towed to a shop and they start pulling on wires. By this time, the car has cooled and it starts fine. They notice on a bunch of wires that run down behind or beside the powersteering pump, that the car will stall if they pull on those. So they slide under and take of the skid plate and disconnect all those wires and pull them up. Cut all the tape off, and examine them. The two little wires going to the AC switch have a kink and a worn spot, one has the plastic off for an 1/8 inch and the wire is exposed. We taped them up... saw no other bad spots and shook our head and put it all back together. For some reason on the left turn and later when it worsened, a bump, the rub got worse and worse and then shorted out completely (when it was hot) The AC was working fine, there had been no engine light codes, but this surge / short had caused the stall. It is working fine now... just drove 200 miles with not one stall. It had gotten so bad that it was stalling every left turn and most bumps in the road. It took 1.5 hours to pull it all out, and put it all back. No parts necessary. Hope this helps.