99 Ford Explorer door striker

19,360

Asked by Jun 20, 2013 at 02:46 PM about the 1999 Ford Explorer 4 Dr XLS SUV

Cannot believe this.  All dealerships in area do not have in stock.  Checked and learned even Ford Motor Company is out of them.  Anyone know where a replacement can be located?  This part is not unique to the 1999 model year.  UN F'EN BELIEVEABLE.

97,005

Should be available from any auto parts store, ie Autozone NAPA CarQuest etc.

car-part.com can mail you a used one~

1,140

the post that sticks out of the door jam? that the door latch latches to? how in the world did that get damaged? should be the same for many years of explorer, bronco, f series, crown vic, or gr.marquis

97,005

Dorman #s 38448 38445 38421 38420 Just depends on which ones they decided to put on yours at the factory.

19,360

Yes, the part that sticks out of the door jam. It is not damaged at all. The plastic around the post is shot and fell off. Have to purchase the entire striker. Replacement plastic piece not available.

19,360

Tennis shoes: Went to dorman's web page. Ask for vin# Sorry but no cigar. Ford part # is 22008. Had to get part # from Ford Parts.com (which is Ford) using VIN # - Currently out of inventory.

wow...you guy's are awesome~!

97,005

If it is just the plastic part, Autozone has them.

19,360

The plastic part sold at Auto Zone is for the two strikers which hold the liftgate closed (one on each side) They are made by dorman, they do not fit the driver or passenger side doors. The kids and I have four explorers, I've gone through this before. Always had to get them from the dealership. Since the vehicle is 15 years old, dealers usually do not stock parts for vehicles over 10. The said part is even the Ford Manufacturer is out of stock. Don't even know if they will be restocked.

97,005

Well then rip out the side panel and replace it with a pickup striker and nut.

97,005

Or go to a wrecking yard.

6,685

Mr.Blue Oval Knows all. LOL !!! . I found this in 30 seconds. Here's the correct Ford part number and availability from Ford Parts Giant.com on the internet at http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/partlist/front-door-handle-latch-parts~1999-ford-explorer-1898264-1901815-1917034.html 22008 Striker - Door Locking Mechanism **7Z-7822008-AA RH and LH - front and rear doors, FROM 12/21/95 Ford Series -AR- List $22.68 Your cost $17.12 Good Luck, Kenny/ MrBlueOval

6,685

Oh, One more thing for future reference, I believe the complete Ford part number is F67Z-7822008-AA and fits many applications from 1996-2005. I don't know why but this website doesn't show the F9 prefix part of the part number but they show that they have the part either way. You can also find it here at http://www.am-autoparts.com/Ford/Ranger/door-hinge-parts/AM-37355436/564874.html Here's a pic of the replacement. Kenny/MrBlueOval

Kenny!--yeah~

19,360

Thanks BlueOval. I've used Ford Parts Giant on previous occassions. I contacted them first after learning the dealership was out of stock and so was the Ford manufacturer. Placed an order for four of them and was all smiles. Received an e-mail fifteen minutes later stating they were out of stock and so was their supplier. Item placed on backorder but does not know when or if they will arrive.

OJ, did you ever find the part? I am having the same problem. The plastic piece is tearing. Someone suggested using electrical tape but wanted to see if and where you found the part. Also in the ford picture of 2008 it does not show that it comes with the plastic piece or afraid of spending $30 now on this part. I'm thinking about going to a junk yard and pulling one from an existing ford explorer. Your thoughts?

Another question. Is the part really F67Z-7822008-AA as mentioned above? If it is, then there are places that I can get but wanted to be sure prior to purchasing. I have a ford explorer sport 2000. Hope that your explorer was the same.

19,360

I did eventually get four of them (replaced all) from Ford Parts Giant, if memory serves. They were a little over eleven bucks each. Not certain about 2008 design, but does it look like the one pictured above? The strikers for all four doors should be the same. The striker for the hatch is different, and the plastic insert can be had at autozone. Why they do not carry the insert for the doors is beyond me. If you are in a bind, remove one of the strikers from the back door (little used) and place it on the door in need of repair. The striker is adjustable, you'll see when it is remove, so just line up the replacement with the marks left by the original.

19,360

The electrical tape route will not hold up. That is a waste of time. For giggles I used my small drill press and drilled a hole through a piece of wooden dowel of the same diameter. It worked, but it will not hold up. I did locate some dense plastic rod, available on the net, but since my strikers were ordered, I did not go that route.

I just went to Autozone to replace the bushings on my front doors of my 1998 Ford Explorer. The parts they sold me caused both doors to be ajar. After research online, I see they are designated for the Liftgate not the side doors. I can't find the correct part anywhere, and I'm waiting for my husband to remove these. He says the back door bushings also need replacement.

19,360

I have owned many of these Ford models from 1996 to 2007. The strikers you purchase over the counter at the local parts store are for the hatch ONLY. You can purchase the strikers for the door on-line. I ordered mine and the cost was about 15 bucks each. You can order them from any Ford dealership (not stocked) for about 40 bucks each. As a temporary measure, swap one out from a little used door on the back. If you do not draw a mark around the old striker, you'll have to reposition it a few times to get the door to close correctly.

So far I have found this is the best posting for information on the internet, in my search for the 1998 Ford Explorer Door Lock Striker "Bushing only", which is just the vinyl bushing that slides over the bolt of the actual "Door Lock Striker part No. F67Z7822008AA". The Ford dealership currently sells the entire [22008 Door Lock Striker ``FROM 12/21/95''; RH and LH - front and rear doors Price: $55.00]. I guess I will look into finding the entire Door Lock Striker but at a lower price than the dealer. Thank you OJ.

19,360

The only thing I could find when I was replacing mine was the entire striker and bushing. There are workarounds if you are interested, for pennies, but if you want the entire striker go to Summit racing, the part is either 38448 or 38445. They are about 10 bucks each.

Thank you OJ, that helps a lot! My neighbors will appreciate less door slamming!

I cut 15 or 20 from a piece of 1/2" ID plastic (cpvc) water pipe. It came out to about 3 cents each. Cut them 15/16" long and you're good to go. For 40 bucks you can replace them for life on about 10 cars.