How to change auto transmission fluid

Asked by Sep 05, 2015 at 01:32 PM about the 2001 Isuzu Trooper 4 Dr Limited SUV

How do I change transmission fluid in auto

17,320

Some transmission pans have a drain plug like for the oil but if not you will have to remove pan from transmission.

795

Get ready to have some fun...the only way to do it yourself is to start with a case of dexron3 trans fluid and a fluid pump(it looks like a soap dispenser). Raise up your Trooper as high as you can while keeping it level and find the filler and drain plugs on the bottom of the pan. Bring the engine up to operating temp(about 140°) and with engine in neutral open up the lower drain plug. When it stops draining out, replace the lower plug and open the upper plug. Use the fluid pump to fill the upper plug until it starts draining back out. After doing this a couple of times you will notice that the fluid is coming out clear. It sounds like a pain but the genius who designed this system thought a trans dipstick wasn't needed. The system has a capacity of 9 quarts so you will need most of the case to get it done. Make sure to have the engine idling when you do your last fill and close the fill plug as soon as it drains back out.

40

Do the wheels have to be off of the ground when adding the fluid? My sons Trooper was leaking from the accumulator piston cover, so I replaced it, but not sure how much fluid it lost. I just know that it would not run forward only in reverse. I added about 1 1/2 quarts after it started flowing back out, so I though it was full. I still does not work, I'm thinking that I did not add enough or because I had it in park, that it did not take all that it could. Please advise. It's 2000 4WD Trooper about 145.000 miles. Oh can it be the filter may be causing this as well?