my doors wont come off

40

Asked by Jun 11, 2013 at 08:37 AM about the 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4WD

they seem like there stuck i cant get them to budge summer is here and i want to take
them off i took the bolts off and the wont slide out of the holes

Let me get this straight. You have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler, one that looks like this, and you want to take the doors OFF?

So it will be like this?

That's your choice. Not for me to even have an opinion on, only that I prefer A/C.If so, well..... Front Doors: Close the front door. On the exterior hinge find the two Torx screws (one on top; one on bottom). Remove both Torx screws with a T50 driver. Keep the screws in a safe place. Open the door. Trace the wiring harness from the door to the foot well (under the steering column on the driver's side; under the glove box on the passenger's side). Unplug this wiring harness. Hold the interior door handle, then lift the door strap from its hook (hold the door firmly; otherwise, it can fly back and hit the fender). Lift the door straight up to disconnect it from the hinge pin. Rear Doors Close the rear door. Remove the two Torx screws with a T50 driver. Move the front seats all the way up. Open the rear door. Remove the access cover from the interior B-pillar panel (between the front and rear door). Unplug the wiring harness inside, then pull the door strap away from the hook. Lift the rear door straight up to unhook the door from the hinge.

40

i did take the torx srews off, the door wont budge,did the wire harness nothing

It has to come STRAIGHT up. might need a little help from a pry bar. WD 40 the hinge...a big flat screwdriver between the pin(s), please don't hammer on the door itself, only the small pry-bar or screwdriver. Get a helper and wiggle it as you pull up...are all four giving you problems? Or one stubborn one? and remember hold INTERIOR door handle

40

all four

1,145

Try taking a rubber mallet and tapping on the bottom of the door near the hinge. They are probably just stuck from never being removed before. David why do you even own a jeep. Taking the doors off is the reason you buy one.

50

Very common problem. Need multiple people. Get a towel, sit on the door jam and use your quads in you legs to apply upward pressure. The towel goes between the doors and your legs to limit the pain :) While you apply pressure, someone else has to shake the door back and forth. Do this and after about 5-20 minutes they will come free. Good to swap with other people because this is exhausting. When you pull up on the door, make sure you pull by the hinge and not the end of the door to avoid putting torque on the hinge. Be patient, it will eventually go. Once off, grease, grease, grease, grease.

85

I have never had a problem with the doors but I have heard of people using a floor jack with a wooden block to motivate the doors. This is not a one person job. someone must keep a hand on the doors.

20

thank you Sportscarfan28, i tried you towel method and it worked great! didn't even need extra people. one point though i was lifting so hard that the door came off unexpectedly fast and I kinda dropped it. Guess some extra help would have been wise. All is good though, it fell on something soft :)

10

I know this is probably going to be a stupid question, not familiar with this stuff but is there a certain type of grease to buy? I was also told NOT TO put WD40 on it, but I cannot get my doors to budge. I've tried everything even multiple people and I've had no luck. Is it possible to take it somewhere and get help with it, or will they charge me?

I used a floor jack with log. Took two of us. Each one came loose with a pop.