My 2000 ford mustang starts and runs fine then when i go to restart it it wont start. I was told it may be fuel pump, relay switch or ccrm. where should i start

Asked by Apr 01, 2016 at 12:20 PM about the 2000 Ford Mustang Base

my mustang starts and runs fines at times but when i shut it off the next time it may not start acts like its not getting gas. i was told it may be the fuel pump but not sure why it would run sometimes and not other times, then someone told me to check the relax it may just need reset, or to check the ccrm. i am not sure where to start.

2,795

Hmmm. I am not sure why someone would advise you to reset the CCRM, for a fuel pump issue. The pump primes usually when you turn the key to acc, even before you click into "Start". If you hear the pump priming in the back of the car (BEFORE STARTING IT, BY JUST clicking the key forward to ACC), you will know if its the pump or not. If you click the key forward and you don't hear the pump priming, theres your answer, if you hear the hum of the pump priming, then I would think that its a fuel filter issue. This can be an intermittent issue, and there is a way to test that as well. When you have the "non start" issue, take a rubber mallet and bang on the fuel tank a few times (DO NOT USE A REGULAR HAMMER, AND DO NOT HIT IT HARD ENOUGH TO DENT OR RUPTURE THE TANK). Give it a few whacks with the rubber mallet and attempt to start it. If it starts after that, its the filter. The other issue is a starter issue. I had a Lexus that would do the same thing. It would cold start, but after I had ran the car, I would get in and turn the key and everything would come on but the car wouldn't start. Same test, tap on the starter with a screwdriver or light wrench, (DO NOT BANG ON IT, BUT TAP IT), get back in, if the car starts, its the wiring or solenoid to the starter. I will keep an eye on your post, for more details, and best of luck!