Car stops running completely but starts up again for brief time

5

Asked by Mar 22, 2011 at 04:16 PM about the 1998 Hyundai Accent 2 Dr GSi Hatchback

Driving car on highway when lights began to dim-pulled off and it quit completely-shop installed new battery-drove 2 miles-same problem-waited half hour/it started-went a few blocks-quit again (repeat 3 more tinmes)  Shop is baffled because they can"t "re-create" the problem. Not the altenator because it re-starts and runs briefly.

115

Sounds like the alternator. The battery starts the car but the alternator keeps it running. Your vehicle would run breifly just on battery juice. The problem is either the wiring to the alternator or the alternator itself.

1,010

I have an Hyudai accent 1999 that just started to act up. It will quit or not start for no reason after driving short distances. No lights dim, it will just not re-start after I shut it off, or will stall at intersections. It ALWAYS re-starts. Sometime 5 minutes later, sometimes an hour later. My mechanic can't find the problem because it always starts later. Any one have any ideas?

190

thats not a mechanic then hes just a auto parts replacer. a true mechanic would test sensors and modules, relays and fuses

190

take you alternator seperate to an auto parts store to get tested for free. and just to be a lil bit more sure 1.turn on your vehicle 2. remove the positive cable (make sure it doesn't touch any metal or wires) 3. check that the engine is still running on idle the raise the rpm's to pass 1 and if it does shut off on you alternator is fine. also if you have a ignition module it doesnt hurt checking that too but you need to remove it and take it to get check @ an auto parts store(also free) if its bad buy it

180

It could be the crankshaft position sensor...not sure if you ever figured it out but mine would start up fine and it would die after about 5 to 10 minutes of driving only to restart again an hour later. You can find the sensor online for about $20 to $30 and replace it yourself....keep in mind it's a pain to get to. You'll need a 10mm socket with a swivle, and extension. The sensor is located at the front of the engine on the right hand side under the exhaust pipes and directlybehind the O2 sensor. You'll need to take off the plastic cover on the bottom of the car to access it because there's no way of getting to it from the top unless you want to unbolt and remove what I believe is the water pump. You may also want to unbolt and remove the bracket holding the wire from the sensor...it's bolted to the right side of the engine with a large 17mm gold(brass) bolt. There's a wire clip hold the plug into the socket for the sensor, just get a small flat head screw driver and pry it up then it will slide off...make sure to put the clip back on when you install the new sensor.

65

Just changed the Crankshaft Angle Censor on my 1997 (manual) hyundai Excel. Tools used: 1 x 3/8 ratchet. 1 x 3/8 to 1/4 crossover. 1 x 1/4 drive extension bar. 1 x 1/4 drive 10mm socket. 1 x 1/4 drive 12mm socket. 1 x small screwdriver. I firstly removed the 2 x 12mm securing bolts on the clutch slave cylinder and the 12mm securing bolt on the support bracket for the clutch fluid hose. I was then able to reposition the slave cylinder giving easier access to the 10mm retaining bolt on the censor. Having carefully removed the censor and the 'O' ring, the unit waas the ndisconected from the cable connetion. Replacement was a reversal of the removal. The whole job, start to finish, took about an hour, I thought that was not bad for an amateur mechanic. The car; it runs like a dream.

30

it might be your battle toad, good luck finding a replacement.

90

My Hyundai Accent had a similar problem of stalling after few meter. I checked all sensor particularly the Oxygen sensor and crankshaft sensor but all were positive. I consulted my friend an electrician and upon attending the vehicle he went direct to the both sensors where he found that the crankshaft sensor connector was loose. I really pitied. Just check the connection of all sensor.

90

I agree with Dave and Garry. My 2000 Accent started stalling after about 10 minutes and then would not start for a short while. Replaced the ignition coil- no difference. Replaced the crank angle sensor and hey presto! Problem solved.

20

Could be the ignition switch. No one ever considers this as a possible source of the problem . If the car runs fine, but cuts out, could be electrical. Combine this with the fact that you can start the car with a screw driver, very distinct possibility of position of the key. Running rough will point to a different problem.

20

Same. Problem with my daughters 2005 Hyundai elantra... We changed fuel module cam and crank sensor... But no luck... Then it hit us the car was losing spark ... We changed the ignition coil pack and have not had any more problems

50

I had this issue with my 1999 Hyundai Accent. The car engine would cut out completely as I slowed down to stop at intersections. I couldn't restart the car immediately after it cut out, but it would start again maybe a few hours later. Keen to fix it myself, I misdiagnosed it as a faulty battery and installed a new one; needless to say the problem persisted. Then I concluded it must be a faulty alternator, so replaced that; once again, the problem persisted. Then, after finding this thread, I decided to replace the crankshaft position sensor as a last resort before taking it to a garage. I have an OBD code reader but the engine light was not on so there were no fault codes so this was just a pure gamble based on the success of people in this thread. The sensor was US$25 on Amazon and took 15mins to replace. For my car all i needed was a small ratchet (~100mm long) and 10mm socket. I've been driving the car for over a week now without any problems at all! Thanks team

310

I have a 2004 Hyndai Accent and basically has the same issues as those mentioned. It dies after 10-15 minutes while on the highway. It loses power like there is no fuel. Press the gas pedal and then it re-engages again....Replaced the crankshaft sensor but no luck. No engine light appears so I guess the sensor is good. What else should I do?

70

I have a accent 2002 modle GLS .when it drive mode and pushing the break.suddenly slow the engine for seconds.some time engine stops and suddenly starts.what's the problem

10

Hi Eliotgio 1968, try the ignition coil then...

120

2008 Hyundai accent was coming to a stop sign felt a litte pull stop at the sign proceeded to give gas wouldn't go turned off the car restarted it won't start at all what could be the problem

60

Have a 2009hynda accent drives and runs fine .but once you shut it off it wont start dash lights on headlights work no click on nothing when turning over got a new battery.

10

I have a Hyundai Accent 2010 it working very well but sometimes stop working and take like five minutes to start again

50

2009 Hyundai Accent stalls out and dies no codes come up. Is it the dealerships fault should this be considered a recall? It only has 79000 miles but it was doing this at 69000 miles

Hello,sorry for the problems you guys are having, worked on Hyundai's cars for years and have found that the temp sensor go's bad .Try replacing that, it worked on several I looked at.

Had same issue with 06 Hyundai sonata died while running lights dimmed radio shut off then car slowly died waited it started again and repeat I removed altternater and bat had them tested checked out good put it all back together drove a while happened again this time the battery light came on I replaced battery,surpentie belt finally decided to change the alternator and success been over a year hasn't happened since