1984 jeep wagoneer keeps dying.

10

Asked by Nov 01, 2016 at 02:38 PM about the 1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 4 Dr STD 4WD SUV

Replaced the gas tank and ever since I
have had problems. Will be running nice
and then will just die. Well sometimes
start right up or even take 10 min. Was
told it could be the screw in the front
plate of computer.  

116,545

Did you replace the fuel pump and fuel filter when you replaced the tank. Did you check to see what your fuel pressure was if any when the car died?

10

Yes all replaced brand new. Never Checked the pressure but will pump a pint of gas in 30 seconds. Any advice to help would be wonderful. Wording on her as we speak

8,465

You need to narrow down the problem, just because you worked on the fuel tank doesn't necessarily mean it's fuel related. Check for spark, fuel pressure, not just fuel flow and take it from there. It could be something else but it's a process of elimination

116,545

a pint of gas in 30 seconds is not how to check the pump you need to get a gauge and find what the pressure is...look at the injectors as well for any of them leaking.

10

I'm actually speaking for my father, it is his wagoneer. Lol we are actually sitting ducks at this moment just teeing to get the old man some answers. He has replaced several things at this point and he is quite sure it's related to fuel issue of some kind. Like I said it ran perfect before he replaced the fuel tank. Ever since it just shuts off on its own.

116,545

Checking the pressure is the first step !

8,465

You need to follow a troubleshooting method, otherwise your gonna be throwing parts at it by guessing and it can get expensive and still not have a clue where the problem is

check your wiring grounds toward the back of the drivers side of frame...as well as ALL other grounds. They are notoriously undersized and can cause a myriad of weird problems...even seemingly fuel related issues

Hey guys. I was having this same problem. I changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, coil , battery cables and starter. Come to find out it was the ignition control module. It works great and does not just die now going down the road. Good luck.

I should add that mine is a 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoner :)