1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Dying

Asked by Jan 08, 2017 at 06:05 PM about the 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 4 Dr STD 4WD SUV

I have a 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer that
will die while driving down the road.  We
have replaced the spark plugs, wires,
ignition switch, coil, distributor, vacuum
hoses, fuel filter, and rebuilt the carborator.  
All to no avail anyone have any clue what
our next step could be?

Same vehicle, same problem, havent thrown parts at it yet. Will start and run perfect until reaching operating temp, then die. will start again when engine is cool.

sounds like an electrical problem. check all your ground wires. they are notoriously undersized, usually corroded and cause multiple problems like what your describing. If you don't know how to do this, look up "jeephammer grounding diagram" on IFSJA.com (clears a lot of that electrical wonder up REAL quick). Next, inspect and replace any of the vacuum hoses connected to the charcoal "vapor" canister mounted on the passenger fender well, that are dry, brittle or cracked. Also, change your fuel filter and PCV valve. All off these are the cheapest way to go about solving this issue (ask me how I know). If you get stuck, do a search on the forum I mentioned above. They have answers for everything you need.

if none of this helps, look into your inspecting your fuel pump, fuel sending unit and possible "vapor lock" caused by the fuel lines that run to the fuel pump (next to driver side of engine) being overheated by the engine/manifold temperature.

9,415

Replace the ignition module. They used a Ford module. I always said these vehicles should come with a spare in the glove box.

Best Answer Mark helpful

That was it! Replaced the ignition module and all is good. Thank you, thank you!!

My 90 model Grand Wagoneer with a 360, kept dying on me when it would get hot but it would crank in neutral and park but soon as you put it in the drive gear would die immediately till it's either cooled off or or got connections more ever. So I'll try to new pick up cool fix the problem did fine and for about eight nine months then start having the same problem going on again I got to noticing under my distributor cap was metal shavings dust built up so my distributor either the cam gear or whatever gear is out of balance or warm will it be the top or down by the cam gear so it's eating my to pick up pull up and all that metal dust when it get hot wouldn't would mess up my connection to my coil so replace the distributor the whole complete distributor and everything fixed the problem ain't done it since