Jeep Wagoneer - Carburetor

Asked by May 29, 2014 at 12:04 PM about the 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 4 Dr STD 4WD SUV

I have a '91 Jeep Grand Wagoneer and have been told by mechanic the carb needs to
be replaced/refurbed.

The cost doesn't seem too prohibitive but I thought if I am going to spend money is
there an upgrade I could do. If I bought the Edelbrock four barrel Performer 600CFM
(model 1400) would this just be a direct replacement for the OEM carb. As in would I
have to do any major modifications at all?

Can I assume the choke is the same? Will it be okay with the ECU etc that I have on
the car?

My mechanic is just a straight guy and says lets just get a standard replacement but I
am not sure he is saying that because of less work or he simply doesn't know what
work is involved (he is not a Wagoneer guy either).

I plan to get better heads and manifolds sometime in the future but would not want to
have to then buy a new upgraded carb when I could have got it now.

96,725

If it is the setup I remember it should already have an Edelbrock on it already, yours will have a black main body made of Bakelite, if it is not totally screwed up rebuilding it would be best, if it is an Edelbrock, most parts stores carry rejeting and needle rods kits, so you can build it to fit your fuel demands. HTH

I thought the 2 barrel was standard and the four was an option (I honestly don't know). Also, lets just say I got the Edelbrock outlined above. Would it be a simple case of plug and play or would I need new intakes and manifold?

96,725

There could be a little work with linkage and some fuel and vacuum line rerouting but not too bad. Do you know if you have a 2 barrel or the 4 barrel option?

I am not sure, would need to check with my guy. I haven't had the car long and just assumed two barrel.

96,725

Check it out and then repost back and we can go from there.

3,015

In 1991 your Jeep only came from the factory with a 2bbl carb so NO the 4bbl is not a direct replacement and requires a lot of other work. My background is a grand wagonner fanatic with 9 of them and I am an auto tech at my fathers shop in IL. If you want more power, and already have the carb, then you will need to by an eldebrock 4bbl intake also, make sure to get the one with egr. They do make adapters to put a 4bbl carb onto a 2bbl intake but that completely cancels out the reason you put on a 4bbl carb. Obviously replacing the intake is a lot more involved than just the carb, but any mechanic can do it. There will be some rerouting of vacuum hoses, fuel lines, and maybe some slight alterations for the linkage as tennisshoes said. This jeep has no ecu to worry about. So either do your 4bbl intake and carb now together, or rebuild your 2bbl carb and put it back on factory 2bbl intake.