Auto Stop/Start

Asked by Jul 31, 2016 at 12:20 AM about the 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD

We just bought a 2016 and love it - except the Start/Stop. It's nice that the
Eco setting "sticks" in this model (I leave it on), but the Stop/Start doesn't.
You have to set it every time you're in the Jeep. It's kind of disconcerting
being in the middle of an intersection waiting for oncoming traffic to clear so
you can turn left and having the engine shut off. I live in a very congested
suburban area, and as soon as my foot's off the brake, I usually need to
GO. Really wish there was an option in the settings to turn this off
permanently. Think Jeep will do that at some point, maybe with a software
update? I think consumers should be in control of something as intrusive as
this.

27,685

Ask your salesman- if you don't like the way these 21st century cars drive, try something else-

17,295

EPA knows better than you..Just as a Politician knows whats best for you. Try not to think. Vehicles are really to dangerous for people to own and drive they will be going away. Start reading some of these Government study's!

290

There is a simple option now for the car to remember if you want Stop/Start disabled. Here is the link: www.smartstopstart.com

60

It can be shut off ? That's the button

140

go to your u-connect screen/ settings/engine/auto- stop-time/ can be alterred fom 0 seconds through to 10 mins .

140

Go to your u-connect screen --settings/engine/auto-stop ..this can be adjusted from 0 seconds through to 10 mins... either 5 mins or 10 mins should suit you better..

110

The setting you refer to is actually called "Engine Off Power Delay" There is no "Auto- stop" setting other than the disable button you need to press every time you start the car. . This setting does not have anything to do with the Auto (Engine) Stop Start. The YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHMy16FVEmM) that claims this is wrong, as you can see from its comments. Here is what this setting does according to the owner's manual: "When this feature is selected, the power window,switches, radio, Uconnect phone system (if equipped),DVD video system (if equipped), power sunroof (ifequipped), and power outlets will remain active for up to 10 minutes after the ignition is cycled to OFF. Opening either front door will cancel this feature. Press the “Engine Off Power Delay” button on the touchscreen and choose from “0 sec,” 45 sec,” “5 min” or “10 min” to select your desired time interval." This has nothing to do with the Engine Stop Start system.

70

I have a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Have it for 1 year and 9 months.. light just came on to service the Start Stop (All Ready) ... Is this a feature going to be a big problem?

290

The 2016 Grand Cherokee has a secondary battery dedicated to Engine Stop Start. Early failure of this battery is fairly common and likely the problem.

90

OK - so the device is available for $129 (on sale from $159) at the web site "Mark Helpful" provided. My Jeep dealer told me today there is no way to turn this damn thing off. I would gladly pay Jeep to turn it off but they insist it is impossible. What's up with them! I hope they get enough complaints to warrant a change in their ridiculous position.

30

I have a 2019 jeep Cherokee latitude plus with the ESS feature . There is a way to not completely disable it but to delay to 10 minutes before it would shut the engine off which in most cases would satisfy most users . On my display I pushed apps then I look for settings I found settings and on settings I scrolled to engine on off . I change the setting from five seconds to the maximum 10 minutes which would not allow the engine to turn off for 10 minutes after you made a complete stop at a signal or stop sign . Works great for me easy fix to annoying problem .

290

That 'engine off' setting is the engine off POWER DELAY. From the manual: "When the “Engine Off Power Delay” feature is selected, the power window switches, radio, Uconnect Phone system (if equipped), power sunroof (if equipped), and power outlets will remain active for up to ten minutes after the ignition is cycled to OFF. Opening either front door will cancel this feature." Drive some more...you will see ESS is not turned off.

90

To GuruVK69q - I was excited to hear this and followed your instructions though I could only find "Engine Off Delay" NOT "engine on off". I set this to 10 minutes in my 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Latitude but it had NO EFFECT on the horrific engine shut down at the red light. I don't know if the 2019 is different but there is NO relief for 2018 owners.

All vehicles will have it by 2020. It’s a government regulated feature and after 2020 there won’t be a button to shut it off either.