Overheating. Just replaced radiator and thermostat, but still hasn't fixed the problem.

Laura Wood
20

Asked by Jul 23, 2013 at 06:17 AM about the 2002 Hyundai Accent GL

My car overheated the other day, and it was leaking coolant horribly. I got a new radiator, which stopped the leaking, but the car was still overheating so then we tried replacing the thermostat but it is overheating even now. I spent my entire check on getting those things fixed, what now? I just got paid again but don't have much to spare towards getting it fixed, so I need to make it count. What can I do myself to find the issue? I'm not very handy with tools, and will need a pretty thorough explanation. Thanks if you can help!

pt4857
50

Check your engine oil, if it looks milky on the dip stick you have cracked the head, water is getting into your engine, to fix the head has to come of.

pt4857
50

Also, make shore the fan belt is still on, this may be way it overheated in the first place.

Laura Wood
20

okay, the engine oil was fine. I'm going to check the belt when I get home, but wouldn't it have been something the guy noticed when he put my radiator in?

there is a little "straw" that returns the coolant into the top of the reservoir jug...seen that little tube fall of into the reservoir bottle...causing the overheat for lack of coolant flow~ pop open the translucent bottle and see if the "return" straw is dippin' down into the reservoir jug...this is an important 7 cent bit of plastic which will cause your overheat if not present~

jstplncrz
30

Hey Laura, did you ever get it fixed, and what was causing the overheating? Thanks KM

Etcallhome
60

I have replaced the radiator, water pump, it still run hot. I took out the thermostat and it still run hot when you drive it any distance. The temperature gauge return to normal when it is setting still and running. Help I'm at a lost to the problem.

Abacardi
10

Did you ever find the cause of this? I am currently experiencing the same problem. Replaced radiator, thermostat, and water pump. Still over heating. But cools down when sitting still

Duncan Irandu
10

Am in experiencing the same problem.My car is overheating when especially am stuck in the traffic. Please assist i love my Hyundai

Towlee
40

I have the same issue. Sent it to 2 workshops but they said that they cannot replicate the problem in order to rectify it. Symptoms are similar. Temperature is within the two "dots" when the car is still with the AC on. However once I run the car at 80 - 90 km/h for more than 30 minutes with the AC on, the temperature gauge moves upward - almost to the red line if I don't turn off the AC. If I don't run the AC, I will still "red-line" in temperature if I run 100 - 110 km/h for more than 1/2 hour. Have done an engine overhaul, radiator change, belt change, tubing change etc. Anyone overcome this? I am stumped and so too are the Hyundai service centre people.

charles3009
20

I have the same problem, When I drive, it is good, when I am stopped or traffic, it gets so hot. I do not get it because the computer says that everything is fine.

Sanguine7
5

Usually when car is starting to overheat it is also a good idea to either stop and let car cool down about 30 mins and what works for me is to BLAST the heater until it goes down or stays down until I get to my destination. It can be horrible and sweaty if you stay in a hott area, but I have done it even in Phoenix and now in Socal. I too am experiencing overheating temp gauge and just replaced engine, radiator, and have a tiny hole in A/C condenser in which, I will reference back to what works and lasted for 4yrs which, was to put stop leak in and then add Freon to get A/C working and blowing cold and not cool air. I will be checking to see if the temp gauge problem is any/all of these below: Low coolant, fans Radiator and A/C if working properly (clogged or dirty), then thermostat, bad sensor or water pump and heater core flushed. will let you know what I find out.