Overheating. Just replaced radiator and thermostat, but still hasn't fixed the problem.

30

Asked by Jul 23, 2013 at 06:17 AM about the 2002 Hyundai Accent GL

My car overheated the other day, and it was leaking coolant horribly. I got a new radiator, which stopped the leaking, but the car was still overheating so then we tried replacing the thermostat but it is overheating even now. I spent my entire check on getting those things fixed, what now? I just got paid again but don't have much to spare towards getting it fixed, so I need to make it count. What can I do myself to find the issue? I'm not very handy with tools, and will need a pretty thorough explanation. Thanks if you can help!

70

Check your engine oil, if it looks milky on the dip stick you have cracked the head, water is getting into your engine, to fix the head has to come of.

70

Also, make shore the fan belt is still on, this may be way it overheated in the first place.

30

okay, the engine oil was fine. I'm going to check the belt when I get home, but wouldn't it have been something the guy noticed when he put my radiator in?

there is a little "straw" that returns the coolant into the top of the reservoir jug...seen that little tube fall of into the reservoir bottle...causing the overheat for lack of coolant flow~ pop open the translucent bottle and see if the "return" straw is dippin' down into the reservoir jug...this is an important 7 cent bit of plastic which will cause your overheat if not present~

30

Hey Laura, did you ever get it fixed, and what was causing the overheating? Thanks KM

80

I have replaced the radiator, water pump, it still run hot. I took out the thermostat and it still run hot when you drive it any distance. The temperature gauge return to normal when it is setting still and running. Help I'm at a lost to the problem.

20

Did you ever find the cause of this? I am currently experiencing the same problem. Replaced radiator, thermostat, and water pump. Still over heating. But cools down when sitting still

20

Am in experiencing the same problem.My car is overheating when especially am stuck in the traffic. Please assist i love my Hyundai

70

I have the same issue. Sent it to 2 workshops but they said that they cannot replicate the problem in order to rectify it. Symptoms are similar. Temperature is within the two "dots" when the car is still with the AC on. However once I run the car at 80 - 90 km/h for more than 30 minutes with the AC on, the temperature gauge moves upward - almost to the red line if I don't turn off the AC. If I don't run the AC, I will still "red-line" in temperature if I run 100 - 110 km/h for more than 1/2 hour. Have done an engine overhaul, radiator change, belt change, tubing change etc. Anyone overcome this? I am stumped and so too are the Hyundai service centre people.

40

I have the same problem, When I drive, it is good, when I am stopped or traffic, it gets so hot. I do not get it because the computer says that everything is fine.

5

Usually when car is starting to overheat it is also a good idea to either stop and let car cool down about 30 mins and what works for me is to BLAST the heater until it goes down or stays down until I get to my destination. It can be horrible and sweaty if you stay in a hott area, but I have done it even in Phoenix and now in Socal. I too am experiencing overheating temp gauge and just replaced engine, radiator, and have a tiny hole in A/C condenser in which, I will reference back to what works and lasted for 4yrs which, was to put stop leak in and then add Freon to get A/C working and blowing cold and not cool air. I will be checking to see if the temp gauge problem is any/all of these below: Low coolant, fans Radiator and A/C if working properly (clogged or dirty), then thermostat, bad sensor or water pump and heater core flushed. will let you know what I find out.

20

Duncan and Towlee, did either of you figure out what the problem was? I have a Hyundai too (Tiburon GT) and it just started doing exactly what you guys described. I have checked my fluids (oil, ect...) Was a quart low on oil, refilled it. I checked radiator level and it maybe took 20-30 ounces of fluid to refill. But it still kept overheating. I changed out the thermostat (with the right part) but even still it's running hot. The water pump is good, head gaskets good, radiator is in one piece... But I'm totally stumped. On the highway, it will run hot and I have to ease off to get it to drop. I turn on the vents to try and help cool through the heater core, but it spikes temp higher. I can sit at an idle with the A/C going, but if u drive with it, it will spike. And to kick on heater does not help at all. I know what a cracked head will do to a car (had a Cavalier that i killed when i was younger) and know what to watch out for... But this Hyundai is driving me nuts with "mixed signels". I have not had problem with my overflow either. What's that about? Shouldn't a "Normal" car actually boilbover if it's overheating? I absolutely love my Tib, but this car is more complicated than me. Lol

I'm having same problem with daughters car I've changed radiator and removed thermostat I drove it a while ago it blew out my top hose

70

Hi all. After another unsuccessful trip to another Hyundai service centre, I have resolved my situation by: 1) Topped off the A/C gas to make sure the A/C compressor is not overworked to cool the car down. 2) Flushed my radiator. 3) Drive only between 80 - 100km/h with the A/C on. 4) The moment the temperature goes up, I turn off the A/C. 5) When it returns to "normal" I turn on the A/C again. So far, this has been working. When I am idling, I turn off the A/C (or turn it on intermittently so that the temperature does not increase). In a tropical country, this is tough! There was a mechanic who used to work @ the Hyndai service centre before who told me that he had to "reset a switch" for the thermostat to work right. When I informed the new technician, he sounded perplexed with this comment and said that there was no such thing. I have taken the car out to non Hyundai service centres as well but they too can't resolve it. Hence my modified driving style to not redline the temperature gauge. I hope this helps. Will post more if I do find a solution or find a person who fixes the problem. T.

10

Yes, Im experiencing the same all of sudden the temperature rise. i have change so many things, the Water Pump, Thermostat, Gaskets and service my radiator. Lastly, there is one uncle in Bandar Sri Permaisuri look at my car and that time the temperature shows at the redline. But the uncle looks cool and say to me not to worry, if the temperature really got hot the water should be in boiling sound and the engine top should be in red in colour then. Second he off the engine and start the car back. The meter shows in the middle. He says where got engine got hit up and start back can go to normal on few seconds. He also said if over heating the car will not start at all. so he recommend me to check the car wiring , the speedometer panel ( dashboard) and sensor at engine. so i did change the sensor ( cost me RM 130) , the problem still persist, later i check the wiring ( rm 50) , the problem still persist. So finally i change the meter panel at the dashboard ( RM 400.00) then the problem got a away ... i really spent rm 4-5k instead of spending onlt few hundreds... The workshop mechanics says this may happen because of sensors and electronics problems. Whatever my problem is solve now...