i have a 2004 tiburon, i installed a new battery, now, it shifts hard going into third gear, its automatic.

Asked by Nov 15, 2014 at 08:05 PM about the 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6

i installed a new battery in my tiburon ,now it shifts hard going into third gear. is this a
computer problem?

35

My wife drives the same car, GT V6 Special Edition, needed an alternator so I put a new battery in as well, what happens is when you disconnect the battery then reinstall a new one the trans computer resets, your suppose to "Granny" drive it for a bit so the computer can reset it's shift points. Make sure the fluid is fresh and disconnect the battery for about 10mins, That doesn't work then your trans computer needs to be reprogrammed, a dealer can do it for around $100, good luck!

thank you, tib7409 , you are exactly correct, i took it to a local tranny shop, and they told me the same thing.

35

No prob, hope you got it resolved! If you need an alternator anytime I wish you much luck, it's on the bottom of the motor, very close to the ground so watch for puddles hitting the passenger side because water will take it out and the suspension including the passenger axle has to be removed just to get it out. Been down that road, an alternator is a 30 min job usually but took me 2 days and some powerful impact tools to do the job, a little FYI for you. Let me know if you have any other questions as I do all the work on my wife's tib, the in law's Hyundai's and all my Mustangs and now started with the rare Mercury Marauders, good luck!