Subaru legacy 2003 2.5 cooling system problem

Asked by Apr 26, 2016 at 04:20 PM about the 2003 Subaru Legacy 2.5 L

Car won't over heat at idle but will while driveing top
radiator hose is hard but bottom isn't

42,155

What is your question?

6,135

He's looking for the next step Bob.. idk enough to help you Bryce but found this searching google for:: subaru overheating while driving :: http://www.justanswer.com/subaru/6mscb-overheating- occurs-not-idle-mode-when-driving.html

42,155

Probably a head gasket issue. Subaru seems to have problems in that area.

6,135

Bryce, maybe Boston (Ern) will come around and writeup a synopsis for you. I don't like giving "probably" answers (no offense Bob). I hope for simple solution and would hate for you to fix a bunch of stuff because of a maybe head gasket answer. And from what I've read, it's not the head gaskets, it's the cooling system that causes the HG to go bad. But what do I know ;) Keep in touch.

42,155

"Probably" is a big part of this forum as we are generally unable to run diagnostic tests or get the owners to do so through this site. Usually an educated guess or common problem is what directs the vehicle owner to the cause of the issue. Information from a Subaru expert would be helpful in this situation. Good luck with it.

6,135

I consider Ern a Subaru expert. Everyone assumes head gaskets when they hear Subaru overheating. It could be from a lack of maintenance or many other things. It could be a head gasket issue but I'm not going to agree to that yet. Hence, mentioning Ern might know the right questions to ask and the right things to mention. Like I said, it was not pointing a finger at you or saying you were wrong. It's just one of those, "just sayin" situations. Here's a cool run down of problems. I knew of this site but found it after my last post: https://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-head-gasket-problems- explained/ ......and part 2: https://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru- head-gaskets-problems-explained-part-ii/

42,155

@walth...I could care less who you think is a Subaru expert. I could care less if you think I'm wrong. I do not require any direction or advise from you. Perhaps if you would stick to the topic it would be helpful.

6,135

I provided plenty of helpful information and I hold great value in not leading people to spending thousands of dollars with little regard to finding the real issue. The head gaskets (if leaking / allowing air into the cooling system) might be a byproduct issue of the real symptom/issue. Your logic that Subaru's late (15 years ago?) head gasket problems would also suggest the owner buy a new engine since Subaru has had oil consumption issues lately. Your lack of intuition led me to think that maybe I shouldn't respond and I was right. Maybe you can be a little more respectful to new users to Cargurus in the future.

42,155

Perhaps new users could be more respectful to us that have been here for some time.

6,135

Bryce, any updates bro? Have you had a chance to skim through the links I posted? I think you have the EJ251 2.5 SOHC, does that sound right? Wiki is iffy but here's a quick synopsis on the EJ251 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine#EJ251 Also, are you capable of doing the work or would you have to find a mechanic?

42,155

If you find that the head gasket(s) is the problem make sure you check the radiator for clogging before rebuilding the engine and running it or you will be back to square one.

6,135

Here's another good thread Bryce, wrong engine but good explanations: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/88-head- gasket-issues/15357-overheating-1997-outback-yeah-i-know- common-problem.html