98 Honda accord lx v6, gauges stopped working; temp/speed/fuel/rpm,

Asked by Jan 28, 2015 at 03:52 PM about the 1998 Honda Accord LX V6

they will come on sometimes and then freeze in place. even mileage, with ignition off?

2,915

I would start by checking ground wires. It sounds like a faulty ground that needs cleaning & retightening. Also check the status of your battery(full charge and holding it) as well as the output of your alternator. Had a 97 & now a 20000 which go berzerk with a 1 1/2 or 2 volt drop in power. Is your's a combo analog & digital by chance? My wife's 2000 has the combo display and the digital part of it always acts up, the numbers disappear or only 1/2 of the number shows.

thanks for reply,, its a combo cluster, digital mileage and trip, analog temp/speed/rpm/fuel... my battery holds at 12.7v, and alt holds at 15.2v, with 115a at 2500 rpms.... ive also pulled every fuse, connection, and ground (1 at a time) and cleaned, lithium gelled and replaced.. but nothing happened, except my abs light doesn't come on anymore :/ I even switch out cluster with a friends Honda, but still the same.... I'm stumped ...... :( but, any ideas are greatly appreciated....

2,915

Ok, There are an awful lot of ground connections for these systems, so here are some links for you to try and to follow to locate all of them. It appears that your as well as my problems are located in this maze someplace. Try this first thread first then search from there. http://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help- 7/continue-my-98-honda-accord-dashboard-cluster-nightmare-40034/

2,915

I also found this, on the same site & it bears out exactly what I have told many car owners about the voltage problems. If the alternator is on it's way out, the voltage changes can/will affect many lights and sensors. Here is the posting. RE: Dash Light Problem Quote:ORIGINAL: klrspz yeah, that's the easiest way to test the alternator... pull a terminal and see if it dies under load or even drags any - then it's def. the alternator... i'm a bit hardpressed though to believe an alternator would cause all your dash lights to stay on (especially the door and brake lights). I haven't had to replace an alt. on the honda yet, but i've replaced plenty on all my other cars... generally it's pretty easy, might take 1-2 hours for the first-timer... usually a tensioner bolt, and 2-3 mount bolts; a ground contact and the hookup to the battery... i've even had to pull a radiator hose (drain first!) to get it out of my 4runner; which sucked... Hondas are known for behaving that way if the alternator is on its way to the graveyard. I haven't replaced an alternator on either of my hondas yet. but I have replaced them on my mustangs. It was super easy on the Mustangs. Just looking in the engine compartment of my V6 though, the alternator belt goes around a fricken motor mount. if you want to change the belt you have to remove the motor mount. of course, if you are just swaping out the alternator, you could probably re-use the belt if it isn't too worn. $500 for an alternator replacement is downright robbery. I can change one in under 30 minutes, and I am not a tech. I merely dabble in car work. An experienced tech could probably swap it out in 10 minutes easily. Oh yeah I almost forgot...don't waste your money on a genuine Honda part alternator. the alternators they put on 6th gen accords (the V6 ones anyway) were garbage. __________________ 2000 Accord LX Sedan F23A1 5spd 2009 Ford Edge SEL (wife's car)

2,915

Don't know how much work you do on cars but found this site and the price is reasonable for the service info. http://automanualsource.com/Honda_Accord_98_99_00_01_02_Service_ Manual.html

Thanks JP1956 for your info.... but still, I'm going through every bit of info, and wiring diagram that the web and auto part stores have to offer, with no avail... :( I took it to the Honda dealership service dep...spent 3 hours there .... And was charged $55.00 for them to tell me , they can't figure it out either ! WTF.... I guess it's just a fluke of an upset space/time continuum, that can only happen to Hondas ... lol...