Should I allow my my insurance to talk me into leaving dings and dents on my collision repair?

20

Asked by Jun 05, 2015 at 11:39 AM about the 1998 Honda Accord EX V6

I recently left my 1998 Honda Accord at the body shop where a Geico adjuster asked me
if I would like the option to possibly ignore "small cosmetic issues" on my car since it's an
"older car". He told me that most of the black paint on my (white) car was from the tire of
the other car I was in a collision with. So a polish will be done and dents and dings may be
left behind and he'll try his best to minimize the cost so I don't have to pay a deductible.
I'm afraid that they will provide me soem band-aid solutions to fix my car. Should I
consider the offer?

1,445

No. Tell them you want it fixed right. If you agree to it and there are imperfections leftover that bother you, there's nothing you can do about it. Request the vehicle be repaired properly and that it should be treated like it was their own car.

90,635

Is this the other persons insurance or yours? If it is yours then pay the deductible and get it fixed right, make sure they use OEM parts too, remember if it isn't fixed to your satisfaction you have the right not to accept the repair. Everytime a person goes with an insurance recommendation it lets them think they can start to do it to everyone when it comes to car repairs.

20

My insurance made the recommendation. The collision was considered my fault and I'm assuming my insurance wants to minimize the repair costs on their part. Initially, they made it sound like a good deal (not paying a deductible fee), but after some consideration it sounded to me like they wanted to talk me into accepting a low-quality repair job.

Both of those guys are right. The adjuster is looking out for Geico not you. Anything he says is for THEIR benefit. I assume from you saying something about deductible, you live in a 'fault' State and the collision was your fault. Not passing judgement, just if it was the fault of the other party there would be no discussion of deductibles at all. it would be up to their insurance to fix it and fix it RIGHT. Regardless, insist on getting it fixed to YOUR satisfaction

90,635

They may also be trying to avoid a totaled vehicle claim, did you get some estimates before hand?

We were typing at the same time bwc. But you are correct in your thinking

You carry comprehensive on a 1998? Good deal, not many people do

1,445

You've paid all that money to your insurance to cover repairs right. So they in turn should cover the repair, a quality repair. This is what you paid for, "guaranteed coverage if something happens", not "can we just fix some of it coverage". Put your foot down, tell them that you expect the repairs to be performed professionally and tell them you will accept nothing less than perfection. And stick with it. They most likely will do what is right if you are persistent. If they don't, call me. I'll get them to listen to reason. Lol. Seriously though, tell them what you expect from them and don't back down. Good luck.