Replacent tires for 1998 Accord V6 Sedan

GIASIMBA
5

Asked by Oct 27, 2008 at 08:31 AM about the 1998 Honda Accord EX V6

What tires have other drivers found to be the best replacement for the original Michelin MX4 Plus that though a nice tire can be very expensive in these leaner times.

Logan Saunders
1,940

Good question and I hope this points you in the right direction. Tires, like cars are really a personal preference. I personally think that Michelin tires are over rated and certainly over priced. However, many "experts" will state otherwise. When buying tires, this is all you need to know. One, replace with the same specification tire. (EXAMPLE) If it's a 205/60-16 with a "V" (140MPH) rating, replace with exactly that same specification. Some people will say, "I don't drive 140 MPH, I don't need a V rating!" Actually you still do. Although you don't drive that fast, the tire was selected by the manufacturer for sidewall strength and handling. In this case, if you went with an "H/130MPH or lesser rating" the cost would be less; but, it would wear out prematurely on the edges of the tire contact patch (Section maintaining road contact), the center section would still have a lot of tread when that area is bald. I'd suggest going to the nearest Firestone retail shop. They can get on their computer and pull up exactly what is in stock and available for your car. Also, ask about on going specials and I recommend getting road hazard on the new tires. You will be able to select from Bridgestone, Firestone or their VERY GOOD in house tire brands. In any event, they will recommend the correct specification. At that point, select the mileage warranty that fits and of course, the best price. You will get free rotation for the life of the tires; consider asking about alignment specials, this will extend the tire life and improve your mileage. I selected Firestone because I've done a LOT of business with them over the years. They aer honest, fair and stand 100% behind their product. I hope this helped.

Best Answer
GIASIMBA
5

Logan545 thanks for your thoughtful and accurate answer. I've been using the H rated tires for the last 8 years (owned car since Nov. 1999; had 33,000 miles at the time of sale) and could never understand why I was going through tires every 20,000 or so miles; the car now has 125,000 miles and running fine. No one ever took the time to explain the difference between a H rating and a V rating Thanks again for taking the time to explain the difference. Will pass along this info to other unknowing consumers. Thanks again!

Logan Saunders
1,940

Glad to help. That Honda will give you GREAT service as long as you do the fundamental maintenance. That's changing the oil as Honda recommends and not the local quick lube and changing the timing belt when required. You'll occasionally change out wear items like hoses, belts and brakes. All in all, that car will go well over 300K miles. Good luck!

GIASIMBA
5

Before I posted this morning I had already bought 4 Falken H rated ZE- 912 (HP) tires; they had mounted the wrong size tires just late yesterday afternoon and after reading your suggestion I was able to tell the salesman about the V rating being the correct Rating and he argued that it didn't matter. Well as we speak 4 new tires with the V rating are on order and I was also entitled to a Price Match that requires that Sears sell me the tire advertised elsewhere for a lower price at the competitors price plus 10% off the new price . That came to a $125 dollar saving overall. Thanks again for the heads up. I like dealing with Sears because of their Price Match policy. You and others may want to look into that. It's not heavily advertised. Just a little inside secret. Again thanks for you time

Logan Saunders
1,940

You're welcome! About Falken tires, they're good but you did right insisting upon the correct speed rating. Unfortunately, some people selling tires know little about correct application. Since you liked my answer, please send a suggestion to Car Gurus recommending me as a subject matter expert.

Erik Martinez
10

SOME ONE HELLP!!!!! 98 honda accord ex 4 door v6 speedometer ,fit on a 97 honda accord ex 4 door ??? and if so will it v6

Erik Martinez
10

SOME ONE HELLP!!!!! 98 honda accord ex 4 door v6 speedometer ,fit on a 97 honda accord ex 4 door ??? and if so will i have any technical problems