1999 Honda Passport battery drains completely, have turned off all electrical, any ideas what to check?

Asked by Feb 02, 2014 at 03:41 PM about the 1999 Honda Passport 4 Dr EX 4WD SUV

Brand new battery charged and installed.  Car starts, alt is providing full charge, all lights, radio, etc. off.  Does have the fuel gauge problem that has gone on for years.  also A/C heater fan does not work.  However, the car always ran and did not have this battery drain problem.  This problem just started and wondering if anyone may have some thoughts or ideas on what to check?  Thank you!

Disconnect the positive (+) battery cable and get a 12 volt dc test light. Connect one side of the test light directly to the positive battery terminal and the other side of the test light to the disconnected positive battery cable. You can expect it to glow dimly because of the computer and radio pulling a small amount of power. If it glows brightly, with the ignition off, you've got a short. Now, one by one, start removing and reinstalling the fuses. When the test light goes dim or goes out that's the problem circuit. When doing this test pull the fuse for the interior courtesy lights and leave it out. With the door open and the courtesy lights on you'll get a false reading from the test light. Any draw will light the test light. The more the draw the brighter the test light will glow. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer

Hi Jim, thank you for your answer! I went through the testing of each fuse. Finally got to the two fuses that are screwed down in the fuse block under the hood. There is a 60A and 100A fuse that is for the ignition. Pulling the 100A fuse caused the test light to go out. Appears there is a short in the ignition system. I will need to start following the wires to see if I can find a short. Unless you have some quick tips for me? Nonetheless thank you for the answer it helped narrow down the problem. -Gary

You're welcome Gary, glad to help. Now that you've narrowed it down to the problem circuit you'll have to check the wiring and components on that circuit. It's a tedious process. HTH. -Jim