help

Asked by Sep 18, 2016 at 12:08 AM about the 1999 Honda Odyssey 4 Dr LX Passenger Van

so my car has 1 previous owner and i\the transmission is slipping in 2nd gear and the fluid is also black now do u think i have time to save it and flush it or is it to late, also i was thinking it could be my cat if it was clogged would it do that it is tough for my car to go up hills please help

68,885

If the transmission is slipping,you only have one shot with it,a flush want hurt it anymore than it is now,have seen some come back to life,add some lucas trans fluid after flush,i dont, think you have a catilac issue,it is the transmission holding you back.

Ok great thanks for the info

19,505

The Odyssey used ATF. Generally, if the transmission fluid has not been changed around 60,000 miles, varnish and sludge from oxidized fluid combine with particles from clutch and band wear and create a gummy--almost solid--goo that sticks to transmission parts. When you change the fluid, the new ATF acts like a solvent to loosen this junk. Like sand, it can wear the friction materials off the bands and clutches causing slippage. Valves--and there are lots of them in the transmission--get stuck open or closed. This causes slow engagement or slippage. Once the build up is removed, leaks that it prevented begin from seals and gaskets. Any oxidized fluid left behind makes the new fluid more prone to breakdown. But fresh fluid will not provide more "bite" and cause accelerated wear. The amount of bite depends on the friction modifiers added to the fluid. ATF without friction modifiers allows less slippage in clutch and band engagement, causing harsh shifts. Changing the transmission fluid on a high-mileage car is risky. Don't do it unless your transmission is running fine and the fluid is first-rate, because it can make transmission failure imminent.

19,505

Here is the Lucas Transmission Fix is a non-solvent formula that stops slip, hesitation and rough shifting in worn transmissions and completely eliminates most seal leaks. Use in any transmission for preventative maintenance. Use also in light duty manual transmissions to increase shifting ease and transmission life. Key Benefits Contains no solvents Lowers operating temperatures and stops foaming Can be added to existing fluid without draining any out Effective in an extremely high percentage of cases

19,505

ATF has to be changed every 30000 miles. I have over 250000 miles on my (f150) and what I do is avoid the power flush and since the filter last longer then the fluid about every 10000 miles I take a vacuum designed to draw out the fluid from the trans, and take out about 4-5 quarts and I then replace with new. I have kept it clean all these years never turned any. I just recently did a pan off filter fluid change. In your case Black trans fluid has got to come out. The question is should you remove it all at one time with a power flush for me, I think it may just be that you should skip the power flush as it strips some of the additives you need from the clutches. Shops are warned against power flushing high mileage or suspect transmissions. The Honda is not like a Chevy or Ford that holds 10 or more quarts. I thinks it is just a little over 3 quarts. Change the filter take out 1 1/2- 2 quarts put in a quart or royal purple and a quart of lucas or just the lucas. You need this sludge while the lucas is doing its thing or its going out for sure IMO.