Coolant problem...,

355

Asked by Jan 06, 2013 at 11:43 AM about the 2001 Ford Taurus SES

I have a coolant leak somewhere.., was going to try and investigate where it was coming from but I don't want to
take my engine apart yet until I have a shop or something to put the parts in. I keep putting water in it for the time
being but if I find the problem then I am going to do a coolant flush real quick! Just need to know a little more about
this problem and hopefully get it fixed!

5,550

Is it leaking on the out side of the engine? leaveing a puddle when you park it?

355

That's the problem.., I live in the country where it's all grass and I haven't ever noticed any dark spots or anything under the car.., but I can put water in it one day and it'll be fine for two weeks then some days I can put water in drive 45 miles and half of it's gone.., and it is cooled down before I check it.

355

Then I can check it again the next day if I haven't gone anywhere and it's only containing about an inch of water.

5,550

Maybe your thermistat is sticking sometimes and it is comeing out of your over flow. Try puting a sheet os cardboard under it and maybe you will be able to see where it is leaking from. Does it ever seem to lose heat or over heat while you are driveing it? does the temp guage read in the normal range?

5,550

make sure your cooling fan is kicking in when it is supose to all so. That seems to be a problem on some fords

355

It might just be my thermostat.., I'll definitely try the cardboard method. When it is at it's hottest point it's right in the middle of C & H so it's not running hot; even though one day my mom was in the car while I went in a got a phone card the car started to have smoke come out from where the water goes into the coolant tank. And I do hear the fan coming on when it's supposed too.

6,315

A good pressure check should find the leak if there is one. You can also add some red food coloring to your radiator, then look for red spots under the hood and under the car the next day. They also make a florescent dye that can be poured into the radiator or overflow tank and then using a black light to find when it's coming out at. It sounds like a bad head gasket and maybe you are actually burning it in the cylinders instead ofit leaking radiator fluid. That might be why you don't see any leaks.Putting in water is OK for a short temporary fix but water evaporates very fast when heated when anti-freeze doesn't. That's why anti-freeze is used instead of water in car cooling systems. Best way to check it is have a mechanic or radiator shop pressure check the cooling system. If you let it go too long or run the radiator too low, you risk the chance of overheating your engine, warping the cylinder head and causing major engine damage going into the 1000's of dollars. Kenny/MrBlueOval

5,550

good way all so to check for the head gasket is check your oil and see if it is milky looking. And when the car is running you will probly see white smoke comeing out of the tail pipe. But a pressure check is a very good idea all so. I have a 92 cavilier that is giveing me the same problem but is leaking on the out side some wheres and can not see where it is comeing from. Have checked water pump,hoses and clamps out side of the block. every thing is dry but leaves a puddel and the frame is wet on the passengers side of the car

200

i have a 2000 ford taraus and i have to put cooler in it like every 2 or 3 days my borther fixed the hose what its still leaking

50

My taurus also had a leak dripping from right under the bottle,Iremoved the bottle and found crackes in it.I sanded the the spots and sealed it withhot glue and it stopped,I will have to replace it if it starts again.I think you should remove yours and check it.

40

On a 02 taurus 3."0 liter, there is a coolant assembly that feeds to the thermostat,its made of this composu style plastic that develops leaks that are hard to find coming from driver side of car, so if you see it leaking under drivers side my guess is check that part, its sort of f shaped with small hose coming from the top, thats where I seen my leak,

40

When taking this coolant assembly off it started falling apart almost disinigrating, 100.00 part but not hard to install, a little tight but do able. I could see this making for mind boggling questions.driver side leak? Check into it. That leaking coolant could travel anywhere

20

OK I have a 2003 Taurus its running hot but when I open the hoodits Cummings from cap like real bad what can it be just need a new top or ?? Please help

I got an 05 Taurus in everytime I crank it up it burst water underneath the thermostat area