car will not start. battery ok sparkplugs ok getting fuel. alternator distibutor ok.

25

Asked by Jul 09, 2008 at 02:38 PM about the 2000 Honda Civic Coupe DX

245

check the starter, we've had that problem and it was only the starter

335

Honda's are really touchy when it comes to starters. You can't have a bunch of keys or keychains b/c it wears out your starter faster. Go to a honda dealer, they can help you out.

630

try the ecu fuse under the hood.

255

you say the plugs are good but have you checked to see if you have spark ? could be a your coil. as far as the starter can you here it spinning or does it not do anything when you turn the key? if it does nothing then it could be your starter if when you turn the key and you can hear the motor turning over its not the starter.

150

I had the same issues with 2 of my older Hondas a 93 Civic, 95 Civic Hatchback and mt parents 93 Accord. It allways happened on hot sunny days, you would get in the car put the key in and try to start it, sometines it would start for half a second and then when you tried it agian you could crank the engine until the battery went dead. It had something to do with the coil, that would think it was overheated and thermally shut down. The Key was to park in the shade the whole day or open the hood to let cooler air circulate and wait at least 4-5 minutes with all power off (key out of ignition) and then trying again. Yes it was a drag. Hope it helps.

155

tap the starter kinda hard w/ something when turning the key it usually works

sounds like a bad crank senser.

175

my car did that once, on the clutch pedal there is a little rubber boot on the top of it that when u push the clutch pedal in to start the car, it pushes a button, well if that is fallen off its broken, so all u have to do is go the junk yard and properly remove the rubber boot, but u can still start it it a 17 mm wrench...pretty positive......and losen the nut holding the starter button on and let the button hang............push the button turn the key and if that was it, it should start its kinda like a rigging thing.......i like it.............

150

If none of the answers work, it may be your Main Relay. Usually that happens on the older 90's to mid 90's Honda cars. Also, I'm wondering if your car has an Immobilizer unit. Honda is BIG on these units and have them installed on almost all Hondas since 2000. These units prevent the car from being stolen even if someone duplicated your key. The car's engine will turn but wont run. I don't know if the DX version came from factory with the immobilizer unit but a clue would be that your key has a black plastic end on it. That's where the chip is hidden. If you call your Honda Parts Dept. and give them your full V.I.N. #. they can see if you do have that system factory installed and can tell you how to fix the problem. Good luck. // Charlie

240

8 out of 10 hondas we get in have a problem with the ignition system. take a screwdriver and stick into the spark plug wire. take your hands away and set it on top of the valve cover. Get someone to turn it over and see if it is getting spark. If not it is the ignition coil. If it is it is probably the starter.

140

this is the stupidiest idea ever, screw drivers wernt meant ot be put there so dont put them there, get a spark tester light from autozone or something to check it for spark, geeze that idea was about as smart as pouring sand into the intake to port and polish the heads

145

well if your sayin distributor is ok it must be getting spark. because the coil is built right into it. if its not getting spark i would find a junk car take the fire pack and coil out of it and try them one at a time on yours. i had to do that with mine. come to find out the distributor was bad and was burnin the coil up as soon as i started the car

10

try taking a lock pole and smacking the started case acouple times it might jar the strter to touching contacts

225

Obviously you have never tried it because if you had then you would know that it works just as good as a spark tester light and you don't have to go buy a special tool since almost everyone has a screwdriver. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

210

my 93 Honda civic does not turn on gas pump is fine and we have spark and the starter is goo can you help

1,545

check timing belt (the one that turns the crankshaft) inside the block it might be disconnected...

485

you can purchase a compression tester from an auto parts store for pretty cheap check compression in all cylinders wich means pull out the spark plug screw in the hose to the spark plug hole and crank it over if compression is good check for spark you can also buy a spark tester for cheap test all the wires and if all is good and it still wont start then i think you have a timing issue

155

Make sure the distributor is turning when u turn the motor over (try to start with distributor cap off if it is spining the timing belt or Chain is working if not its broken and needs replaced then check for spark if you have spark pour gas into carb or intake and try again if it runs but stops check fuses for fuel pump and then if that's good test pressor on fuel line could be bad fuel pump

1,085

so your dizzy is ok so yeah your getting spark right or did you take a plug out and turn the car over when having a plug attached to the wire and watch it spark? if it doesnt then ive had a similar problem and that is your ignitor module going it happens on d series when the get old.

50

i have the same issue with my 1993 civic lx it has a 1.5 sohc non-vtec i changed out the rotor dizzy main relay plugs wires valve cover gasket o-ring on the distributer coil pack coil pack negitive wire and still nothing i traded my truck to save money but now i throwing a ton of money into this car next step is tow it to a shop and have them figure it out

50

same issue for me 97 came into the garage after being out the night before and I get no click sound. Radio and lights work. Had clutch replaced and AC recently so will check the switch. Seems odd that it would go to no results after being so reliable. I'm hoping it's a fuse?

255

didnt bother to read all the suggestions but check your main relay it controls a few diff things that can prevent your car from starting, They go out all the time

60

Hi I have a eg civic but wont start it does crank so I opened dizzy cap and noticed its not turning when I try start it. Does anyone know why?

30

From what I read guys and what I am experiencing right now with my 92 Civic I have replaced the plugs, the wires, the distributor the alternator and starter were both tested at an autostore and are running fine I replaced the fuel filter and it just wont crank over. Its probably the Main Relay or a fuse in the ECU box under the hood.

20

Check battery connection at starter...possibly loose...seems to be my problem. I have new battery, cables...relatively new distributor, coil, spark plugs and wires. If I wiggle positive cable at lower end, car will start. Sometimes things are a simple fix...always start with simple first!

90

It seems like nobody else know what he's talking about, the problem is that when is too hot or cold depending on the climate is the car working all the time after you turn the key to On all the lights in the dashboard comes On then wen the check engine light turns off the fuel pump should prime for few seconds then turns off and stay on wen the engine is running, but problem comes wen the 2nd click of the main relay it doesn't occurs until after few minutes, few hours or even days all this time the check engine stays ON, That bullshit about the compression test and beat the fkn starter with a bar is bullshit The situation is that the ECU isn't grounding the pin #8 of the main relay, My car: 1994 Honda civic DX coupe automatic P06 ecu So the right question is: Why my ECU don't ground the pin #8 of main relay in cold or hot

90

It seems like nobody else know what he's talking about, the problem is that when is too hot or cold depending on the climate is the car working all the time after you turn the key to On all the lights in the dashboard comes On then wen the check engine light turns off the fuel pump should prime for few seconds then turns off and stay on wen the engine is running, but problem comes wen the 2nd click of the main relay it doesn't occurs until after few minutes, few hours or even days all this time the check engine stays ON, That bullshit about the compression test and beat the fkn starter with a bar is bullshit The situation is that the ECU isn't grounding the pin #8 of the main relay, I did check the ecu and replaced a few capacitors I have power with the key On in pin a#25 and b#1 Full time power in pin d#1 And ground in pins a#23 a#24 a#26 b#2 I just need to make sure is 12v constantly, so basically I still don't know what's the problem My car: 1994 Honda civic DX coupe automatic P06 ecu So the right question is: Why my ECU don't ground the pin #8 of main relay in cold or hot

240

(((((---99 honda civic dx standard --))))))need help also. new battery and starter - lights radio work - WILL NOT CRANK - or turn over. worked fine n the morning - next morning no crank after sitting all day- help please -

110

Am also having the same problem with my Honda civic 2007 it not start it crank good but no spark comes out from coil I change both crank and cam sensors but still key code is ok fuel pump is good pleas is any one have an idea of this

20

Ignition coils, man those seem to be the norm, I've replaced 3 of them on 2 diff D16s and i came back to read up on it since my car is starting the same symptoms as b4, where the started will crank and I hear the fuel pump power on and I can turn the key for days and kill the battery, and guess what it will most likely be, the ignition coil, ECU grounds and all that aside those seem to be rare occurrences and as far as I know as long as the fuel pump kicks on and you hear a click when you turn the key to the on position that means the main relay is working. So ya go buy an ignition coil, just the coil, not the whole distributor because theres a $200 difference there and Ill bet it fixes the problem

90

I'm having the same problem on my 99 civic ex coupe, car would just click no crank n only wen it wanted it would start .... the only way to get it started wen it didnt wana start is by jump starting it ??so I went n bought a new battery yesterday n still the same thing....the weird thing is that the car was perfectly fine.... any suggestions anything helps ?? Thnks

20

I'm having same thing

90

I have a 1999 Honda Civic LX 5 speed manual transmission. I have been having this problem as well. NO Crank when turning the key. My current solution: 1. Checking connection at the battery 2. Checking connection at the starter motor. I noticed that one of the terminal (small one) seems to be loose. I pushed the connection and the car is starting. Checked multiple times to start and no problem so far. My guess is that the connector is comming loose over time due to vibrations from the engine as well as from the road - vehicle interactions as the car is driven. If you have any input or recommendations for this issue or if my diagnosis is incorrect, I would like to know and find a permanent (long term) solution for this issue.

80

I got a problem with my 95 Honda civic del sol went did all kinds of test on it checked the ecu all my grounds are grounded main relay good it still won't start I realized my check engine light isn't coming on for nothing on my dash fuel pump won't come on but it good I tested it by jumping a hot wire to it and also my injectors aren't opening so I need help on my end before I burn this car down

100

I have a problem with my 96 lx civic I had bearly pulled out the house when I try pushing on the gas pedal it just out of nowhere it died I put new distributor ,cables & crankshaft position sensor & still nothing Can someone tell me something that might be wrong?

10

I have a 98 civic lx i drove it home and let it sit.it started then kept dying I put gas in it and it wouldn't start.bought a new batt they said it was bad now I turn it over and no clicking sound nothing at all.no interior lights nothing. someone said it may be the starter is that the only thing that it could be I don't want to waste my money

50

I'm having the same issue in a 97 civic lx I've already replaced dizzy alternator starter battery and fuse box all BRAND NEW and replaced the EC and still not getting any form of electricity I get the beeping from key turning to second click but at the second click I get no power and all relays and fuses are good...what could it be? Also motor is a Jdm d15b vtec

90

My 1999 Honda Civic LX has been showing this issue for a while. I had a method that works for me. I am also attaching a picture for clarity. I hope this helps you out.

140

My 2000 Honda Civic Ex Vtec will not start, has a new tps, new throttle body, new distributor, the main relay is good, alternator is good, fuel pump is good, starter is good, new cold air intake, new thermistat, and it still won't start, although it's cranks, but just won't start up.

60

My 99 Honda Civic Dx will not crank, I pit 3 new starters on it and it does the same thing. when you turn the key the selonoid sounds like it is not fully engaging. I changed the starter, ignition switch, and the neutral safety switch and still gets the same results. when I turn the key I hear a noise from the main fuse-clicking sound. Can anybody help?

30

@Dealwithit Where is that located exactly? Can't seem to find it on my 1999 Honda Civic LX. Same problem also

i have 1990crx with d16z6 obd1 swap when it does start i have to feather th gas to keep it alive. i have avery ting new. except fuel pump. whe i turn key on all dash lights are on starter wont turn until they go away. the only code is 10 will that make it not run

10

1994 Honda same problem changed the coil and wires and nothing wants to start but nothing kills battery please help

90

About check engine light on and fuel pump not being primed... My solution was replacing the ECU Weather was messing with something inside plus I wasn't able to find the 33mcF dried Capacitors

90

After replace the ECU not problems at all

I have a 97 hatchback turns over won't start changed main relay changed ecu changed distributor I have 5 different coils swapped them out got good plugs and wires but still no spark what could it be

I'm not a full time mechanic, but I have been in the automotive industry most of my life. I have found "if I am creating spark on all 4 wires" then my coill and distributor are doing their job. Then I check for fuel. "If I have fuel and the injectors (could try spraying a small amount of starting fluid in intake just to check) are working it should fire and run. But if it doesn't, I have found the issue to be in the timing system. Maybe jumping a tooth or two or several if the belt is still on and does turn the cam. Most Hondas have interference motors, so hopefully it didn't cause damage if it jumped a few teeth. Good luck, I just rolled one in tonight with same symptoms. I will check timing in the morning.