98 honda civic ex. Speed sensor was changed but needle still jumps. Is it possible the wrong sensor was bought if so how can I be sure I bought the right one

Asked by Jan 09, 2014 at 08:24 PM about the 1998 Honda Civic Coupe EX

19,155

Does this have a cable too that plugs into the sensor or just the sensor?

19,155

Some vehicles have just the sensor that plugs into the transmission that works off the PCM. Others have a sensor and a cable that runs to the instrument cluster. Not every vehicle is fixed by cleaning a ground wire! (judgeee)

OK confirmed...I don't know what the hell is going on here~ http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090920083514AAUua1i

well as you know there is a "Voltage regulator" on the back of the instruments that require a precise reading on the available resistance from a known voltage...this digital device doesn't have any "horse sense" and just takes the available amperage and voltage at the time...so as I've asserted steady power will make it behave.....and NOT diagnosing this remedy for all cars...well alright ALL cars need this done...to assure steady 12 volts and all the needed amperage....BUT...automakers such as Mercedes use TWO main grounds...one for the engine with the starter and one for the dashboard components and ignition and fuel injection...they separate the high-demand from the medium demand for Clean Power to the ECU and other delicates~

perhaps this one DOES have some regulation circuitry for the speedometer...but I don't think so...it's a Honda~

The guy said he had replaced it. So to make sure I replaced it myself yesterday and now it doesn't move at all?!

19,155

The gear that it rides on in the transmission must be worn.

VSS or vehicle speed sensor...yes you have one~ https://www.google.com/#q=98+honda+civic+speed+sensor&tbm=shop

you also have a cable~ https://www.google.com/#q=98+honda+civic+speedometer+cable&tbm=sho p&spd=10556896020124695659

19,155

Yes judge, or the cable is broken.

I asked to be marked "not active" now, on account the spirit of this forum is shattered when we've got NEGATIVE people who do not help...but in fact HURT the prospect of solving the problem...so 68,685 is the bar...took me less than a year to get these "reputation points" after you reach 1 they no longer encourage you to "earn more points"....It won't take you long tuff4x4...you've got what it takes~

19,155

Stick around and help the needy.

19,155

OUCH!!

2,165

Truth Hurts sometimes! keep up the good work tuff4x4... and keep it real! lol

can't do it....it's just NOT fun...as one who posts a problem DOES understand this is a FREE affair here...dude acts like someone's throat's gonna get slit if the advise isn't HOLY and sanctified by the almighty....for god's sake get ahold of yourself...life is supposed to be fun...and contributions are appreciated...no contribution=no appreciation...ya dope~

2,165

some people dont have the money for your guessing... and bad advise in a automobile can put people in harms way... it is apparent that you dont care by seeing some of your comment and answers. you did have some good answers heck i even marked helpful on a couple but if you dont know then why confuse people with your answers just to stay on top! you started the name calling not me all because i questioned you about a stupid answers you gave on a horse trailer... have a good life