raise and lower side window when engine off

10

Asked by Dec 22, 2015 at 08:45 PM about the 2016 Honda Accord EX

how does a passenger raise and lower side window when car is parked and
engine off? Had to go and get something and passenger left in car.

3,655

If they are electric windows, you usually cannot raise or lower them unless the key is in the ignition and turned to the accessory position or the car is running. On many cars today, when you turn the ignition off but have not exited the drivers door right away, many of the electrical features that only work when the car is running will work for awhile until the door opens and completely kills the electric connection.

10

The new accord has a push button start stop. if you turn engine off and leave shift in neutral the radio still works. But not the windows.if when you first get into car and push start button without putting foot on brake first the radio can be used. but not the windows. My 2003 accord had a key that let the passenger reach over and turn it to the AUX that let her operate the electric windows. Is there a work around?

Hope this helps someone else. I just had experience last night with my 2014 Accord when my passengers and I left the car. The windows were down when I turned engine off. It started to rain hard, so I jumped in the passenger side (so I'd get a little less wet) and pressed the button for accessory to close windows. It worked and all was good until 15 min later. When I tried to start the car normally, the brake pedal wouldn't go down, the gear shift would not budge from park and a whole slew of dash lights were on. The engine made a single click and the headlights flashed. No starting. Waited a bit and tried again, same thing. Thinking it may be the battery we jumped it and it started, although I was getting error messages for the tire pressure, blind spot and adaptive cruise. After driving about 20 minutes home the error messages went off. I turned car off and let it sit about 10 minutes thinking if it was a battery problem it wouldn't start again. I tried starting and - surprise - it was normal and just fine. We concluded that using the accessory without having a body on the driver seat sensor cause the electrical system to go haywire. Update: Started the next morning normally.

3,655

It sounds like when you pushed the button, without stepping on the brake pedal to allow the car to start, the car was basically placed into the accessory position, like you would have done if the car had a key operated ignition switch, and if you didn't press the button a second time to disarm the Accessary fuction, you basically left all the power on and powering all of the car's electrical systems that would normally be turned off and it drained your battery, the same way it would have if you left a key in the accessory position the whole time you were away from the car.

Yes, that could be, even though I believe I did press it again to turn off. But it was only 5-10 minutes from the time I put the windows up until I returned to start the car. Battery should be okay longer than 10 minutes, shouldn't it?

3,655

Yes Paula, I agree that the battery should have been ok longer than that, but stranger things have happened. I would suggest, that if you have not already done so, take the car someplce an have them load test you battery.

I had almost exactly the same thing happen twice with my 2015 Accord. The first time nothing was on. Jumped the battery and after about 5 miles of driving the dash instrument lights went back to normal. Took it to Honda dealer and they kept it for 3 days trying to replicate the behavior. No luck, all is well. The second time the radio was on for about 8 to 10 minutes. I tried to start the car but the break peddle was locked solid, gear shift would not move and when pushing the start button the lights flickered, a clicking sound and nothing. Behavior like a dead battery. The Honda dealer says since the radio was on it could have drained the battery because we have a navigation system and with the auxiliary switch on to operate the battery it also started up the navigation computer. This is 2017 and a 12 volt battery can't fun a radio and small computer for more than 5 minutes? You gotta be kidding me. Honda, what is the real story here.