i just bought a 2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport. When i turn the car on, the radio comes on. Why?

10

Asked by Aug 12, 2015 at 03:38 PM about the 2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE

Service says that's the way it is.  I find it to be very unnecessary and unsafe.  As a
woman, when i am approaching my car in a garage, i am aware of the surroundings - the
LAST thing i want is for my radio to come blaring on when i start it!  Also, i was taught,
always turn off your radio/AC/wipers/ etc.  when you turn your car off, so they don't all
have to come on when you start it.  this is very frustrating .

113,615

have you tried turning off the radio off wit the power switch, then turn the car and then try to start it and see what happens?

72,465

See if your owner's manual talks about this. It could be a "personal setting" that needs to be set up. Try pressing and holding the power button for a couple of seconds. On some vehicles momentarily pressing the power button only mutes the radio but does not turn it off. HTH. -Jim

610

Hello my friend. I don't think a manufacture like Land Rover will design a vehicle that the owner can't control the infotainment. Service department should review this issue and bring the car and fix this issue under warranty . I seen this before on bmw's and I believe you can turn the screen off whenever you want and also turn the radio permanently off and used when you want to. You should call Land Rover of America and have them call the dealer that sold you the car. I'm sure there is a some sort of software problem or wrong adaptation since the radio is awaken when the ignition is activated. I have a customer with this same car I will ask him and reply to you. Good luck Ariel Krankenwagen European car specialist.

Best Answer Mark helpful
610

Hello again :-) I was able to talk to my customer and guess what? He has the same situation and actually he is tired of it. You definitely need to call Land Rover. Good luck

10

hi. this is an ongoing dilemma. my dealership basically told me that's the way it is. so i wrote Land Rover with the problem. in the meantime, I called the Land Rover Customer Service Centre - spoke with Kaitlyn - she started out by telling me that it's normal that a radio starts when a car starts - THATS what is really bothering me about all this - IT IS NOT normal! nevertheless, i went on to tell her that the pre-set channels cannot be changed on the column steering wheel - it only seeks and scans all channels. ???? in other words, i'm back in 1980s having to look down and change my channels - without even the benefit of tactile buttons - i'd have to LOOK at the screen. so, kaitlin said she KNEW about that problem and there was going to be a recall.i asked if the radio automatically coming on was a part of that recall - she put me on hold for a long time and when she came back she said - yes, that is part of the recall. Wait until your service calls you telling you about the recall. okay. then last night i got a return email from Land Rover saying " take your car in for service and have them call our technicians and there is a software change to fix this problem." this has been frustrating that i've had to identify and fix this problem. also, the main problem is that i don't like being told i'm being picky or wrong when it is a legitimate problem. i thank you for not making me seem like i'm crazy!

610

Nice!!!! :-) I have worked in dealerships for exotic cars for over 15 years and now I own krankenwgen European specialist and let me tell you something my good friend. When you pay over 50k for a car. Believe me is not just to take you from point A to point B. You have all the right to enjoy the luxury of what you paid and I can tell that you know your European product because someone that doesn't know about it won't even notice this type of problems and will settle for less. Good job and happy that soon you will get this problem solve and My customer too. :-) Ariel

72,465

If they say "it's normal", I say prove it! Doesn't sound normal to me. The service department should be able to point it out to you in the owner's manual and shop manual. Since this is a new vehicle the service department at your local dealership should have the shop manual at their fingertips. Tell them you want to see it! The shop manual will give normal or " expected " operation of different accessories such as the radio, cruise control, etc. It helps them troubleshoot problems. I bet they can't show it to you! If after calling their bluff they still cry "normal" threaten legal action. You have rights under The Lemon Law. HTH. -Jim

10

thanks jim - just wanted to let you know that i would have checked the owners manual - but it's in the car at the dealership! like you, though, i agree, it probably doesn't say anything about the radio coming on when the car starts....it has to be a glitch.

10

Okay Update....they just called and said they fixed the problem of the radio coming on when started. But they can't fix the control of the preset channels on the steering column....which is weird, because when i spoke with Land Rover Customer Service Centre - they said THAT was the problem they were aware of and they were going to do a "recall" to fix that. our dealership just said it can't be changed......