Ford Expedition Fuse keeps blowing

Asked by Jun 06, 2010 at 10:57 PM about the 2001 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD

I have a '01 Expedition and I just recently changed a fuse under the drivers side fuse box because it had blown and I could switch out of park. But even still the gear shift is acting funny and still doesn't shift sometimes. I don't know what's causing these fuses to keep blowing. If anyone could help me with this I would greatly appriciate it. Thank You.

you have a safty switch that connects to the break peddle,enables you to put it in gear only when you apply the breaks,this switch is most likely your problem.

10

I have a 1997 Expedition that is having the same problems. It shifts funny and jerks back and forth. I have to keep in overdrive when I am at higher speeds because it will not act right. Here is my problem... I also have the starter fuse that keeps blowing all the time and the air conditioner fuse too but I not only do not have air I do not have heat either. This all happened after I had my transmission replaced. So, I took it back the first 3 times and they cannot find anything. Then the took it to an electrical shop blaming everything but them that they made a mistake and the electrical shop could not find anything wrong. So, here we are and it is still broke down. Had to be towed again today because even after I replace the fuse to start it it will not start and it blows immediately. Even if it doesn't blow it will not start. I am sooo irritated. I also have a new engine it too so I know that is not it. Please help if you find out.

when they put the tranny in, it is possable they got a wire cought in between the motor and tranny.causing a short in the system.

10

They finally figured it out. My wiring harness pinched 5 wires and they were not grounded properly. I got it all fixed and now everything works!! Thank you very much!!

40

Curious @kaileighbrown if you resolved your problem. I have the EXACT same problem with my '01 Expedition. After Googling the problem, I found your post and a post by @Mreinhar with the identical problem. Some replies point to similar but not the exact same problem, which seems to be with fuse #15 which blows immediately. Car can't shift out of park and (for me) windows don't work. My mechanic thought the culprit was a short in the dome light. He disconnected that, and things worked well for awhile, but it blew again. I replace the #15 fuse and it blows again right away. Since a few of us have the exact same problem, with the same symptoms, I wonder if the cause might be the same? Wish I could figure this out.

It's electrical problem..the expedition has holes on top of the truck ..those are bolts that have and when it rains water comes down the truck through the inside that's why they always blow out electrical fuses and end alternator

You would need to weld the top of the truck where the bolts are for rain can't come inside your truck..