Ford Expedition Fuse keeps blowing

Asked by Jun 06, 2010 at 10:57 PM about the 2001 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD

I have a '01 Expedition and I just recently changed a fuse under the drivers side fuse box because it had blown and I could switch out of park. But even still the gear shift is acting funny and still doesn't shift sometimes. I don't know what's causing these fuses to keep blowing. If anyone could help me with this I would greatly appriciate it. Thank You.

you have a safty switch that connects to the break peddle,enables you to put it in gear only when you apply the breaks,this switch is most likely your problem.

10

I have a 1997 Expedition that is having the same problems. It shifts funny and jerks back and forth. I have to keep in overdrive when I am at higher speeds because it will not act right. Here is my problem... I also have the starter fuse that keeps blowing all the time and the air conditioner fuse too but I not only do not have air I do not have heat either. This all happened after I had my transmission replaced. So, I took it back the first 3 times and they cannot find anything. Then the took it to an electrical shop blaming everything but them that they made a mistake and the electrical shop could not find anything wrong. So, here we are and it is still broke down. Had to be towed again today because even after I replace the fuse to start it it will not start and it blows immediately. Even if it doesn't blow it will not start. I am sooo irritated. I also have a new engine it too so I know that is not it. Please help if you find out.

when they put the tranny in, it is possable they got a wire cought in between the motor and tranny.causing a short in the system.

10

They finally figured it out. My wiring harness pinched 5 wires and they were not grounded properly. I got it all fixed and now everything works!! Thank you very much!!

40

Curious @kaileighbrown if you resolved your problem. I have the EXACT same problem with my '01 Expedition. After Googling the problem, I found your post and a post by @Mreinhar with the identical problem. Some replies point to similar but not the exact same problem, which seems to be with fuse #15 which blows immediately. Car can't shift out of park and (for me) windows don't work. My mechanic thought the culprit was a short in the dome light. He disconnected that, and things worked well for awhile, but it blew again. I replace the #15 fuse and it blows again right away. Since a few of us have the exact same problem, with the same symptoms, I wonder if the cause might be the same? Wish I could figure this out.