Tail lights not working even though signal and break lights do

Asked by May 01, 2016 at 12:06 AM about the 1999 GMC Suburban C1500 SLE

I have a 99 GMC Suburban. LOVE it! but my beloved truck has thrown me a puzzle! Front headlights work, signal lights, break lights, and emergency lights work. But tail lights are not working. So other cars can't see me well at night. Already tried changing bulbs and checked all fuses I could find: under the hood, under the steering wheel and on the side panel on driver's side. None of the fuses seem broken. Wires that are attached to the tail lights also seem just fine. Also, the airbag warning light is also on. Not sure if it's related or not though. Your suggestions would be well appreciated from a mom trying to learn how to care for her vehicle.

92,905

You really need a test light to check the fuses with the power on, those blade fuse's can look good but not work and the taillights do have their own circuit and fuse, so they are separate from the other lights. if you have power going through the taillight fuse then you will have to start tracing out the taillight wiring to find where the break is and repair it. The air bag is a different system so it will not have any bearing on the taillights.

10

I just had that same problem and it was the lights switch

just had the same head light switch when i pressed on it they all came on roof lights and parking lights 99 gmc k1500

I just lost my tail lights trailer lights and the dash lights. Break, turn and hazards are good?? On side of the road fuses under dash and hood seem to be fine