my brat misses at high RPM, it has little power, and hesitates when starting out.

Asked by Apr 07, 2017 at 01:06 PM about the 1986 Subaru BRAT GL Standard Cab

this car has had everything gone through including a new fuel pump, rebuilt carburetor, tank dropped and cleaned all new fuel filters, new plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, valves adjusted compression checked, the only thing I have not done to this car is replace the engine.  yesterday I pulled the carburetor to check the gasket and after putting new one on I started it and it started blowing white smoke, not sure if the intake manifold is leaking or it has a blown head gasket at this point, but there is no water in my oil and compression is still good in all cylinders.   any help would be aprreciated

27,815

spray some carb cleaner around everything...could be a lean miss power issue...

I will try that seeing it is about the only thing I have not tried yet. Thanks for the advice

83,235

Did you replace the coil pack? Have you checked the catalytic converter?

coil pack is new I put one in yesterday, catalytic converter seems to be ok, but not sure how to check it?

Run the engin on idle. Pool out waires one at the time from cilender 1and 3 and lessen to the sound of the engine. If each time you fool a wire and the engine dosnot cheing the sound you probably have a problem with the. ERG valve take it off and check if the valve is not moving. If soo tray to relics it or replace it . Good luck.